Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niftymiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2020
Hello There !, I always had wished to buy macbook but kept the decision long due to various reasons.
Right now i was in the market to buy new macbook air with quad core. I came across two bargain offers on 2019 MBP 15inch(which are not in apple store anymore)

1) MBP 15in 2019 - i7 9th gen, 6 Core processor, 16GB Ram, 256SSD with Radeon Pro 555X -> MV902 Variant
2) MBP 15in 2019 - i9 9th gen, 8 Core processor, 32GB Ram, 1TBSSD with Radeon Pro 560X -> MV942 Variant

Fix is price :) #1 costs 1365$ #2 costs 1811. I was planning for new Air and given this choice of screen real estate, picture quality i am thinking to buy #1 since #2 is costlier.

I am not in graphics, i do development like application development using virtual machine and java, some web development.

Suggestions? I Feel 256GB is just average, can i use external SSD to make it up ? i feel i have no need for 32GB Ram but open for discussion

Thanks in Advance, DNM

niftymiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2020
Any links to these prices?
These are direct shop prices carrefour. i do see website with similar products but shows out of stock they have in certain outlets here. where are you from ? what do you think about them is it worth purchasing ? i some how feel the keyboard sees to lack more but given spec i am just pondering on this .

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
These are direct shop prices carrefour. i do see website with similar products but shows out of stock they have in certain outlets here. where are you from ? what do you think about them is it worth purchasing ? i some how feel the keyboard sees to lack more but given spec i am just pondering on this .
Prices are excellent even compared to Apple refurbished. If you are comfortable buying from this place, buy it.

Reactions: niftymiller

niftymiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2020
I wouldn't buy any Mac laptop with the old style keyboard at this point.
This is my concern, even considering the price point or bargain which is in front of me.
Given the MBA 2020, seem to have nicer keyboard i am trying to understand.

Does it make sense to tell , i prefer keyboard and would keep this as standalone desktop along with keyboard maybe bigger monitor and use as is on move? not sure if that works.
[automerge]1585335632[/automerge]
Prices are excellent even compared to Apple refurbished. If you are comfortable buying from this place, buy it.
Exactly i do have a friend who says he can get 10% discount on apple refurbished product still it seems like the #1 mentioned costs around 2000$. So damn cheap.. this is reason i am complete disarray. Price Vs Mind :) ---

niftymiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2020
I am thinking about the
Get the 16" model instead.
Costs more, but will probably last longer.

Yeah, but the cost seems to be lot more. my initial budget is around 1100 and then seeing this options just tried to moveup. i will if any purchase offer comes up

profcutter

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2019
I don’t know if it’s still the case but folks were having real problems with the i9 when it came out. It was just too hot for the enclosure. I’d definitely wait for a 16” if I were you. Yes it’s more expensive, but combines with the problematic keyboard, that’s enough to keep me away.

Last edited:

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I don’t know if it’s still the case but folks were having real problems with the i9 when it came out. It was just too hot for the enclosure. I’d definitely wait for a 16” if I were you. Yes it’s more expensive, but combines with the problematic keyboard, that’s enough to keep me away.
That was the 2018 model not 2019

niftymiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2020
I actually read lot of reviews about this model. I heard this was the earlier version on 2018. i heard this gen of keyboard also survives better however i have seen the reviews with pro 20 vega card, there was one for 2100$ :) but not in my league now
[automerge]1585516153[/automerge]
That was the 2018 model not 2019
Exactly this what i read/saw videos about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.