Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one should I choose?

• 13" MBA

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • 13" MBP SSD

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • 15" MBP refurb

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

i4Collin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Maryland
I am torn between these three laptops!! :confused:
- 2011 13" MBP 128GB SSD (2.4 Ghz)
- 2011 13" MBA 128GB SSD
- 2011 15" MBP 500GB HDD (2.0 Ghz, Refurbished)

All three have similar price tags. This laptop would be replacing a 15" laptop. I don't necessarily need a lot of space as I have an iMac. I would use it for storing my music, photos, internet, documents, and maybe a game or two. It will rarely leave the house, so it doesn't have to be portable. I really want to go with a Pro, but am afraid that there might be a redesign coming. I can wait if I really need to as my current laptop still works, but I was going to get this as a Christmas present to myself :cool: Which one should I choose?

Reasons I would buy:

13" MBP
-SSD
-doesn't sacrifice power for portability

13" MBA
-Ultra Slim
-SSD

15" MBP
-Screen real estate
-quad core
-best value for $$$

Last edited:

mudenza

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2006
I can't speak for the 15 inch, but unless you think of using a DVD, or thinking of expanding and using Thunderbolt professionally, go with the 13 inch MBA.

I like my 13 inch MBP though :p

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
tough choice, in particular since you don't need any of them :D

There is something I dislike about each choice:

13'' MBP: Low screen res, no dedicated graphics
13'' MBA: Less powerful
15'' MBP: No SSD, average screen res

Take the 15'' if you don't care about not having an SSD.

The 13'' MBP is fine if you don't care about the screen resolution.

The 13'' MBA avoids both problems, it has SSD and a nice screen. If you can live without optical drive and somewhat reduced CPU power, it would be a good choice.

mopatops

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
UK
I'm biased as I have one myself but I'd say the MBA was the logical choice as you already have an iMac capable of any heavy lifting. I'm using a 13" i5 MBA as my primary computer and have found it easily runs my Logic Studio sets so unless you're gaming, there's some decent power under that little hood.

An iMac to go with my MBA would be my ideal combination!

i4Collin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Maryland
I've narrowed it down to the Air and the 15" Pro. I am literally ripping my hair out trying to decide. I like that the Air has a SSD, but will 128GB be able to last me 3 years? I honestly don't think it will. Plus, the fact that the ram is non-upgradable is a major minus. I think I should go with the 15" Pro, but part of me is just screaming DON'T DO IT!!!!

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I have both the 2011 13" MBA and 13" MBP...with a 120GB SSD. Which is set up with bootcamp (really just to play a couple Windows games). I never use the Air, mostly because my wife won't let it out of her sight. I still really do like my MBP anyway and don't mind the extra 1.5lb. I also previously bought the 17" MBP but it was just too big. I took it back within 24 hours and exchanged it for the 13" MBA.

All that being said, I wish I'd got the 15" MBP for myself, really just for the dedicated GPU. I was thinking about selling my 13" MBP, moving the 120GB SSD to a new 15" (and moving the HDD to the opti-bay), but I've decided to not do anything right now. I'm holding out for the next refresh, which I expect in June-July 2012. Once they are out I will decide between the Ivy Bridge 13" MBA or the Ivy Bridge 15" MBP. After that I don't plan to upgrade again for another 3-4 years.

VadisH

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
I've narrowed it down to the Air and the 15" Pro. I am literally ripping my hair out trying to decide. I like that the Air has a SSD, but will 128GB be able to last me 3 years? I honestly don't think it will. Plus, the fact that the ram is non-upgradable is a major minus. I think I should go with the 15" Pro, but part of me is just screaming DON'T DO IT!!!!

Hi, having same dilema over here too. Did you buy it? Are you happy with it? :confused:
I'm considering to purchase MBP 15" with 128 SSD, it will cost 200$ extra, but
I think it will eat me alive watching my friends MBA 13" working faster with
SSD, so it is not worth buying MBP without it. :(
With time capsule I will be able to buy a bigger SSD when a time will be right.
I'd really like to know your choice and your opinion, thanks.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
You already have an iMac so you may want to get an MBA. You can actually upgrade the SSD in MBA, if you were to find the need to do so down the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.