Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doopie2you

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
Dear users,

I am interested in a Macbook Pro. I brows the web allot and use Office applications voor school. I sometimes use Final cut pro for 1080P video edits and Lightroom to touch up some photo's. I also play Age of Empires 2 from time to time (which works very laggy on my current MbP 2012 2.5 ghz / 8gb / 1TB ssd)

That being said, i want to spend my money wisely. I can afford the 15" MbP base model but i am also interested in the 13" MbP TB. I take my MbP to school maybe once a month so the portability factor doesn't concern me. Also the 256gb storage is enough for me.

So the models i am interested in are:

- 15" Pro base model 2.8 Ghz quad core / 16GB / 265 Gb
- 13" Pro TB 3.1 Ghz dual core / 16GB / 256 Gb

I want to use the laptop for 5 years, and it will be my main computer on my desk. I don't really know how 'great' of a performance beast both Macbook's are. I know you guys know more about it then i do, because i have been reading alot of threads (also the big 13 vs 15" thread).

But my main concern is, that in 3 years the 13" 'may' become slow and laggy with normal use. This was the case with my old MbP, which i then upgraded with more RAM and ssd. But that is not possible in the new ones, so i want to make the right decision. So how 'future proof' are both models? And which one can offer me 5 years of fast performance with my use.

(Btw, in the next 5 years my usage will proabably stay the same, i don't use very heavy programs for work)

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
The 13-inch MacBook Pro won't become slow in 3 years, if it's the latest generation, especially for the things you're going to use it for. You haven't specified which generations you're wondering between. If you wonder between the 13' and 15' of the same generation (for example 2017) - I'd chose the 15-inch undoubtedly.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
The 13-inch MacBook Pro won't become slow in 3 years, if it's the latest generation, especially for the things you're going to use it for. You haven't specified which generations you're wondering between. If you wonder between the 13' and 15' of the same generation (for example 2017) - I'd chose the 15-inch undoubtedly.

Agreed. I don't know how long 13"ERS last, but I did have a 15.4" 2009 machine that lasted me until 2016. It's still in use as well; I sold it to a college student who needed a Mac. She loves it.

Reactions: nortonandreev

doopie2you

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017

Thank you for the reply, indeed i mean the 2017 model. But the 13" would manage the 5 years as well? And the 15" would manage longer, if i understand you correct.
[doublepost=1501957618][/doublepost]
Agreed. I don't know how long 13"ERS last, but I did have a 15.4" 2009 machine that lasted me until 2016. It's still in use as well; I sold it to a college student who needed a Mac. She loves it.

Thank you, did you also had a base model 15"? Or did you max it out?

Jamalogo10

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2017
No one can really guess which will last longer! So don't expect anyone to answer this. Either of them may encounter an unforeseeable problem. These machines could last a decade if properly maintained so I'm not sure I fully understand the logic. Let's get real, most people replace their laptops every 3-6 years; both machines will undoubtably last that long. You said price and portability aren't your biggest concern... I think you already have your answer.

My two cents: the nTB would last the longest if you match the specs because of the larger battery and the lack of a 1st gen touchbar.

Last edited:
Reactions: nortonandreev

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
Thank you for the reply, indeed i mean the 2017 model. But the 13" would manage the 5 years as well? And the 15" would manage longer, if i understand you correct.

You could use either of them for 5 years. I wouldn't say that either of them would be better for more than 5 years, as everything is developing fast nowadays and, as Jamalogo10 said, nobody knows which will last longer, because you can't be sure what'll be available on the market in the years to come. But as you're going to use it for things like web and office applications, the both models should be fine. When it comes to games, the 15-inch model would be a better choice as it has a better video card.

What I'm trying to say is that, in my opinion, you shouldn't think what's going to last for more than 5 years. You should focus on getting the best machine for these five years. That's why I think that the 15-inch is a better choice - it has a faster processor, a better video card, a larger screen. If you can afford it - go for it

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
[doublepost=1501957618][/doublepost]

Thank you, did you also had a base model 15"? Or did you max it out?

I didn't max it out- I never get the max CPU as that money can generally be spent with upgrading more valuable things, but I usually end up with a mid range 15" and upgrade the graphics. Did that on both the 2009 and 2016 models and didn't regret it.

doopie2you

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
No one can really guess which will last longer! So don't expect anyone to answer this. Either of them may encounter an unforeseeable problem. These machines could last a decade if properly maintained so I'm not sure I fully understand the logic. Let's get real, most people replace their laptops every 3-6 years; both machines will undoubtably last that long. You said price and portability aren't your biggest concern... I think you already have your answer.

My two cents: the nTB would last the longest if you match the specs because of the larger battery and the lack of a 1st gen touchbar.

Thank you for your advice. The nTB is an interesting mb indeed! I thibk the TB is a gimmick but i don't want to be in a situation were i use all my ports on a Ntb (2) and i can't add anything. That being said, i currently use: Lan cable, Aux, and sometimes a USB stick. So with a hub i could manage.

I did read a review on the nTb
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple...017-i5-without-Touch-Bar-Review.234282.0.html

It said that it could only manage it's 3.6 Ghz speed for a couple of seconds. I saw that it could run at around 3.0 Ghz with normal temperature. But then i wonder, wouldn't a Tb version not be beter in case of performance? Battery aside, because i use it at home with my charger on my desk. Then i get at least 3.1 Ghz, which can turbo up and maybe drive at 3.4 Ghz with normal temperature? I get 2 extra ports just in case i need it, and a slightly beter graphic card.

I can get the TB version for €230 more then the Ntb, so money wise it doesn't matter. It's just performance i am interested in.

Again, thanks for the help everybody!

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Thank you for your advice. The nTB is an interesting mb indeed! I thibk the TB is a gimmick but i don't want to be in a situation were i use all my ports on a Ntb (2) and i can't add anything. That being said, i currently use: Lan cable, Aux, and sometimes a USB stick. So with a hub i could manage.

I did read a review on the nTb
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple...017-i5-without-Touch-Bar-Review.234282.0.html

It said that it could only manage it's 3.6 Ghz speed for a couple of seconds. I saw that it could run at around 3.0 Ghz with normal temperature. But then i wonder, wouldn't a Tb version not be beter in case of performance? Battery aside, because i use it at home with my charger on my desk. Then i get at least 3.1 Ghz, which can turbo up and maybe drive at 3.4 Ghz with normal temperature? I get 2 extra ports just in case i need it, and a slightly beter graphic card.

I can get the TB version for €230 more then the Ntb, so money wise it doesn't matter. It's just performance i am interested in.

Again, thanks for the help everybody!

You will regret eschewing the Touch Bar in my opinion. Just buy the TB model.

I mean, the differences between the model are far greater than the presence (or lack) of Touch Bar. CPU in the 13" nTB has almost half the TDP as the TB model. Lack of extra type-C ports is another thing (I personally couldn't live with just 2); lastly the iGPU in the TB model is slightly better.

Oh and, there's no such thing as future proofing. If your usage habits suddenly change one day, you should then pick up a machine that can handle your use cases; till then though, if a machine meets your needs today, it will meet your needs 5 years later (assuming your usage hasn't changed much).

Reactions: HenryDJP

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
You will regret eschewing the Touch Bar in my opinion. Just buy the TB model.

I mean, the differences between the model are far greater than the presence (or lack) of Touch Bar. CPU in the 13" nTB has almost half the TDP as the TB model. Lack of extra type-C ports is another thing (I personally couldn't live with just 2); lastly the iGPU in the TB model is slightly better.

Oh and, there's no such thing as future proofing. If your usage habits suddenly change one day, you should then pick up a machine that can handle your use cases; till then though, if a machine meets your needs today, it will meet your needs 5 years later (assuming your usage hasn't changed much).

What he said. And I would never buy a 15in. Trend from past has shown that the DGPU can be problematic.

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
Dear users,

I am interested in a Macbook Pro. I brows the web allot and use Office applications voor school. I sometimes use Final cut pro for 1080P video edits and Lightroom to touch up some photo's. I also play Age of Empires 2 from time to time (which works very laggy on my current MbP 2012 2.5 ghz / 8gb / 1TB ssd)

Wait AOE2 is laggy on your current mbp? That is literally the ONLY game I play on my 13" 2013 mbp (2.3ghz, 8gb, 256gb) and it runs just fine (both using Wine for HD edition and via bootcamp for Voobly).

Either model would probably last you a long time. I bought a 2016 15" last fall and ended up returning it... I just couldn't justify the cost for the small difference in performance for what I do - web browsing, AOE2, Office, programming, and remote desktop into my work machine. My main reason for the upgrade at the time was just for the bigger screen. I feel like 13" isn't enough all the time... but oh well. This 13" is still plugging along just great for what I do.

If I upgrade any time soon, it will probably be a Windows PC as I am slowly feeling the urge to start playing some more demanding games.

Good luck on your decision. And I'm glad to see a fellow AOE2 player on here. :)

doopie2you

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
Wait AOE2 is laggy on your current mbp? That is literally the ONLY game I play on my 13" 2013 mbp (2.3ghz, 8gb, 256gb) and it runs just fine (both using Wine for HD edition and via bootcamp for Voobly).

Either model would probably last you a long time. I bought a 2016 15" last fall and ended up returning it... I just couldn't justify the cost for the small difference in performance for what I do - web browsing, AOE2, Office, programming, and remote desktop into my work machine. My main reason for the upgrade at the time was just for the bigger screen. I feel like 13" isn't enough all the time... but oh well. This 13" is still plugging along just great for what I do.

If I upgrade any time soon, it will probably be a Windows PC as I am slowly feeling the urge to start playing some more demanding games.

Good luck on your decision. And I'm glad to see a fellow AOE2 player on here. :)

Thank you for the reply, that is great information!

And AOE2 is amazing, played it ages ago on my desktop when it came out and now i play it as my guilty pleasure.

Anyway, i am going to look at both models in the Apple store. Everybody thank you for your help.

tim1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Thank you for the reply, that is great information!

And AOE2 is amazing, played it ages ago on my desktop when it came out and now i play it as my guilty pleasure.

Anyway, i am going to look at both models in the Apple store. Everybody thank you for your help.
what did you end up with?

doopie2you

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
what did you end up with?
Well Tim, i orderd the Macbook Pro 13" with 256gb storage and 16gb ram Touch Bar version with the normal cpu. But after 10 days of use i wasn't happy. The Macbook wasn't really faster then my old Macbook Pro, and because the bezels are smaller the Macbook almost looked like my iPad Pro (12.9). I play games like Simcity on my Macbook and even though the screen is the same size, the Macbook itself just didn't feel as a 'full computer'. I use it as my main device every day on my desk so i would like a laptop which i can work and game with. Plus i would like to have the option to take it with me when i need it for school.

Therefor i decided to return the 13" and order the 15" Macbook Pro 256GB storage, normal CPU and normal GPU. And to be honest, i am so glad i did! I spend more money, but i am so much more happy. I can play every game with top settings without the fans going bananas. I can split screen Word and Safari for my school work and the screen is just the best.

The 256gb is sufficient for me because i have all my pictures in the Cloud. So i only use 100gb on school document, programs and a couple of movies. Which leaves me plenty of space.

I don't use the touch bar that much, the touch id pay methode is awesome when i purchase stuff. The emoji's during Imessage conversations are also cool and easy. But apart from that i can't say it's a game changer for me.

So (in my opinion) if you want to future proof, take the 15". It is a beast and a beautifull product.

If you would like to know more, let me know!

Reactions: yang88she
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.