Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I'm looking into MBP 13 -2010 2.4GHZ and want to know if it would be good enough to handle Photoshop + Lightroom editing work for Canon RAW images out of EOS 7D / 20D ? I'm planning to use external monitor when needed but most of time work on MBP 13. What do you guys think ?

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
I'm looking into MBP 13 -2010 2.4GHZ and want to know if it would be good enough to handle Photoshop + Lightroom editing work for Canon RAW images out of EOS 7D / 20D ? I'm planning to use external monitor when needed but most of time work on MBP 13. What do you guys think ?

Of course. In terms of computing power you will certainly be fine. I've been using a 2006 white MacBook for some heavy lifting in terms of raw conversion/LR/PS/Photomatix work. The current MBP are obviously much more powerful than what I'm working with so you would be fine. I don't even use an external monitor, which certainly would be helpful but not needed.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Lightroom is not too heave on the GPU; so you are good there. The 5400 RPM HD is not that big of an issue; I use Canon 5D Mark II files on a NAS; meaning bigger files on a slower IO, and its not a big issue.

The one thing that may present an issue is RAM; LR likes it...a lot. A 8GB upgrade may provide a nice bump; but is no way a requirement. After using LR for a while, its common for it to be using 2GB of my 4GB RAM; and would likely use more if I had it. There is also a brief slowdown when its using this amount of RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.