Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balonchiks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
Jungle
Hi, I am currently having an issue with the wifi on my new 2017 model, non touchbar 13 inch macbook pro.

My setup is the following:

Archer C7 router with the OpenWRT firmware installed
Macbook pro 13" 2017, non touch bar model with latest High Sierra installed and updated
Lenovo Carbon X1 3rd revision, 2015 model
MyCloud NAS, attached to Archer C7 via gigabit ethernet cable.

Both macbook and lenovo are on the same table, approx 3-4 meters away from the router. Both connected to the 5Ghz ac wifi, both on channel 36, 80Mhz.

My issue is that the speed on the macbook is always noticeably slower than on the lenovo, despit they are next to each other.

Example: running speedtest on lenovo gives out 95-100mbit (my connection is 100mbit), running speedtest on the same server on macbook pro gives 40-70mbit. Downloading a file from NAS on a lenovo machine gives out about 35-40 Mb per second, the same procedure on macbook reacher 15-18 Mb per second.

It looks like it's not a router configuration issue, since the macbook always performs slower, and it never showed me 90-100mbit on the speedtest while lenovo always shows these numbers. Knowing that there could be at least 15-18mb (as per LAN transfer from NAS) between the macbook and the router, it looks very very strange that it's not possible to get the max speed from speedtest.

I would appreciate any info re this issue as this is just driving me crazy!

Thanks.

P.S.: It is not a openwrt firmware issue as behaviour was exactly the same on the stock firmware
P.S.2: I have also tried everything from this thread with no success.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Iirc, the non touch chipset has slower WiFi than touchbar. There are thread discussing this and other features of the non touch bar unit.

balonchiks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
Jungle
Thanks, don't think this is related to my issue, as i don't have any ports plugged in (tried with charger cable and without). will post the screenshot of the wifi settings shortly. i had time capsule mid 2009 previously and the issue was the same.

jerryk - i know that non touchbar model has slightly less powerfull wifi chip, but that doesn't explain why it can't reach 100 (or at least 90) mbits on the speedtest.net website, while it can clearly do 15-17Mb (megabytes) over lan...

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Thanks, don't think this is related to my issue, as i don't have any ports plugged in (tried with charger cable and without). will post the screenshot of the wifi settings shortly. i had time capsule mid 2009 previously and the issue was the same.

jerryk - i know that non touchbar model has slightly less powerfull wifi chip, but that doesn't explain why it can't reach 100 (or at least 90) mbits on the speedtest.net website, while it can clearly do 15-17Mb (megabytes) over lan...

It has been awhile since I messed with network protocol for a NAS, but I bet the packets coming across your lan from your NAS are much bigger, than what they are shipping across the internet. So the number of bytes transferred in one frame is higher.

I know my NAS I uses jumbo frames (>1400 bytes of data per frame).

Also, speedtest uses HTTP requests and your NAS likely does not (it uses AFS or some other LAN based file protocol). So there is additional HTTP overhead to deal with. Perhaps the better Wifi modules have hardware/driver support to help deal with some of this.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.