Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frank7f

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
Has someone noticed some strange noises when gently touching, without actually pressing, certain keyboard keys on the new MBP 14" keyboard? On mine I have this strange noise on 50% of the keyboard's keys. On some of them it is more evident. It's not that easy to explain, it is as if the key has two types of pressure levels, one with a gentle touch and the other with the actual keypress. The first one though only when pressing the upper edge of the key. The noise it's different between the two types, the "strange" one is more plasticky.

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
on my 16" m1pro its the same. But that sound is coming because some of them are "fixed" and some of them are not so fixed (they move easier, idk how to explain).

Frank7f

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
on my 16" m1pro its the same. But that sound is coming because some of them are "fixed" and some of them are not so fixed (they move easier, idk how to explain).
In my case though they seem to be as the others, well fixed. I think I'll compare with some new MBP keyboards at the Apple Store, just to be sure, and in case get a new one. :confused:

Tylerhink93

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2021
Uptown, Chicago
Has someone noticed some strange noises when gently touching, without actually pressing, certain keyboard keys on the new MBP 14" keyboard? On mine I have this strange noise on 50% of the keyboard's keys. On some of them it is more evident. It's not that easy to explain, it is as if the key has two types of pressure levels, one with a gentle touch and the other with the actual keypress. The first one though only when pressing the upper edge of the key. The noise it's different between the two types, the "strange" one is more plasticky.
I'm having the same issues, and it looks like others are as well. Check my post history, I posted a video of this happening and let me know if it sounds similar. I'm thinking the keyboard needs to break in a bit. Of note, my "G" key did this the first day and now it isn't noticable.

As an aside, are you noticing any keyboard backlight issues? Like some uneven light bleed from under the keys at an angle?

AnDrEw17876

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2021
Thessaloniki, Greece
I exchanged mine this morning because my spacebar was ridiculously wobbly, sat taller than the rest of the keys, and sounded like an old Typewriter spacebar. The replacement I got has the exact same issue + a mushy Touch ID Button... This keyboard is awful compared to my M1 MacBook Air!

Reactions: Frank7f

Tylerhink93

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2021
Uptown, Chicago
I exchanged mine this morning because my spacebar was ridiculously wobbly, sat taller than the rest of the keys, and sounded like an old Typewriter spacebar. The replacement I got has the exact same issue + a mushy Touch ID Button... This keyboard is awful compared to my M1 MacBook Air!
Sorry to hear that! At least mine is on the lesser used keys.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
No issues with my 14" - they all feel pretty "clicky" and although some make a slightly more muted sound, there is no impact to the typing responsiveness at the speed and force I use when I type.

Reactions: Hammie

Tylerhink93

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2021
Uptown, Chicago
No issues with my 14" - they all feel pretty "clicky" and although some make a slightly more muted sound, there is no impact to the typing responsiveness at the speed and force I use when I type
I think our issue is slightly different. It's not when you type, but when you lightly tap without pressing on the corner of the key you can feel and hear a clicky noise.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Just here to confirm that I do not notice any weird issues with my keyboard.

Frank7f

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
I'm having the same issues, and it looks like others are as well. Check my post history, I posted a video of this happening and let me know if it sounds similar. I'm thinking the keyboard needs to break in a bit. Of note, my "G" key did this the first day and now it isn't noticable.

As an aside, are you noticing any keyboard backlight issues? Like some uneven light bleed from under the keys at an angle?
Yeah, I can confirm it is the same issue you have filmed. On different keys but the same. Mine is worse on the "E" key. I though can't see a very bad backlight issue on the keys. I mean I can't see that the backlight is softer on some keys because some seem to be not completely fixed, so the wobble a bit, especially when a rest a finger on the upper/bottom edge of one of it.

Frank7f

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
Yeah, I can confirm it is the same issue you have filmed. On different keys but the same. Mine is worse on the "E" key. I though can't see a very bad backlight issue on the keys. I mean I can't see that the backlight is softer on some keys because some seem to be not completely fixed, so the wobble a bit, especially when a rest a finger on the upper/bottom edge of one of it.
I mean I CAN see that the backlight is softer on some keys because some seem to be not completely fixed, so they wobble a bit especially when I rest a finger on the upper/bottom edge of one of them

Frank7f

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
Just checked my function row and my spotlight, dictation, and mission control keys “click” when lightly tapped just on top as well.. Oh well, time for another replacement tomorrow morning!
On one end I would not encourage this at the moment since the new one will almost certainly have these issues too.
On the other end I think that the more people do it the more likely that Apple acknowledges it. I had that option when I went at the Apple Store some days after it got delivered but I made that consideration, and I needed it, so couldn't handle the swap at that moment.

AnDrEw17876

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2021
Thessaloniki, Greece
On one end I would not encourage this at the moment since the new one will almost certainly have these issues too.
On the other end I think that the more people do it the more likely that Apple acknowledges it. I had that option when I went at the Apple Store some days after it got delivered but I made that consideration, and I needed it, so couldn't handle the swap at that moment.
Just did one last exchange. Drum roll please...

It has the exact same issues. Ill stick with this one until the next one comes out, Apple Store rep told me that he's had others come in with similar complaints, perhaps they'll take notice and eventually tweak the design/manufacturing...

Reactions: Frank7f

Frank7f

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
Just did one last exchange. Drum roll please...

It has the exact same issues. Ill stick with this one until the next one comes out, Apple Store rep told me that he's had others come in with similar complaints, perhaps they'll take notice and eventually tweak the design/manufacturing...
Goooood, in the meantime the best thing to do is to get Apple Care. In 6 months time we'll get a swapped Mac with (hopefully) fully functioning keyboard or they'll just swap the top of our Macbook, battery+keyboard, ending with a new battery.

AnDrEw17876

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2021
Thessaloniki, Greece
Goooood, in the meantime the best thing to do is to get Apple Care. In 6 months time we'll get a swapped Mac with (hopefully) fully functioning keyboard or they'll just swap the top of our Macbook, battery+keyboard, ending with a new battery.
Yeah.. that’s what I did in the end, got the annual $99 plan

Let’s just hope the redesigned upcoming MacBook Air doesn’t have these issues as well :)

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
I don't agree. I think it's much better than the Air keyboard. It's snappier and more responsive, and "springier," if that's a word. At least mine is. However, I still enjoy typing on my 2020 Air keyboard.

AnDrEw17876

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2021
Thessaloniki, Greece
I don't agree. I think it's much better than the Air keyboard. It's snappier and more responsive, and "springier," if that's a word. At least mine is. However, I still enjoy typing on my 2020 Air keyboard.
I think you got a well built one, my friends 14” keyboard feels amazing and a smidge better than the Air (in my opinion of course!)

BritC

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2021
Return your Mac Pro 14" while you can - my 14" key board failed after 33 days of light use. I now have a large paper weight. Parts for these do not seem to be available.

Problem Description/Diagnosis​

Issue: Keyboard is typing strange characters
Steps to Reproduce: Functional key looks tilted
Pulled keycap no damage or liquid residue
Cosmetic Condition: No cosmetic damage
Proposed Resolution: Replace top case
Mac OS Version: 12.0.x
Hard Drive Size: 500
Memory Size: 16

Parisi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
Return your Mac Pro 14" while you can - my 14" key board failed after 33 days of light use. I now have a large paper weight. Parts for these do not seem to be available.

Problem Description/Diagnosis​

Issue: Keyboard is typing strange characters
Steps to Reproduce: Functional key looks tilted
Pulled keycap no damage or liquid residue
Cosmetic Condition: No cosmetic damage
Proposed Resolution: Replace top case
Mac OS Version: 12.0.x
Hard Drive Size: 500
Memory Size: 16
Can you kindly post of a video of the issue?

CaramelSky

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022

Hey mate! Hows your Macbook holding up now? I just bought a MBP 14 and am experiencing this issue. Its really frustrating and I've already tried swapping it once but the new one is the same. Does the keyboard "break in" in a way? I can notice it time to time whilst typing and its just so annoying.

CaramelSky

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
For me its also particular keys, like the 9, G and H keys. Sucks to have to happen on such an expensive computer. Has your issue resolved with time?

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Likely due to misalignment on the hook/catch mechanism for the keycap. See https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-keycaps.2353476/?post=31351650#post-31351650

I don't know how easy it is to try fixing yourself on the newer models, but if it's bothering you enough you could try, worst case you just break the plastic on the keycap and can go into the apple store and say it broke off by itself or something.

The keyboard may break in within a few weeks, but it could break in either way depending on current position of the pins; either it'll get better in a few weeks, or it could worsen.

Reactions: MaximTV
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.