Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
I love my new MBP, but the keys feel like they rattle once fully depressed. Instead of getting a thump when I press a key like I did on my last two Macbook's I get a slight rattle. The space bar, enter and backspace keys are the worst for this, however most other keys feels great.

Anybody else notice any differences in keyboard performance?

synergize

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
this is so sad .. why did apple have to dump the 2015 MBP classic keyboard ...
No kidding, that keyboard was made for dancing fingers, and could shred text like no other, loved it. The keyboard on the 14" is light years better than the worst keyboard ever (2018 MacBook Pro), that was worse than awful.

Last edited:

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
The butterfly design looks way better and I do like the way they feel to type on (very mechanical and satisfying) if only it had better reliability...I am not the biggest fan of how much vertical travel is on the keys in the 14/16 MBPs but it gets the job done.

I got one of these and it is my favorite keyboard to use in terms of feel and reliability:

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
this is so sad .. why did apple have to dump the 2015 MBP classic keyboard ...
I agree, the 14” keyboard is pretty good, but not quite as good as on the 2015 MBP that I just replaced. One of the things that I was a bit sad to see go. Still don’t know why Apple had to change it. Too thick I guess, but here we are with a thick(ish) macbook again, anyway.

Reactions: project_2501

ASX

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2021
Yep, experienced the same. Compared with a mechanical keyboard the mbp is a joke. Cheap rubber dome crap.
Especially the enter key has less resistance.

I used it yesterday to check the display issues discribed here in the forum. I was very glad when i used my mechanical keyboard with cherry mx red switches again.

I have Logitech MX Keys mini (rubber dome) here, for my Ipad Pro 2021 12.9". It feals way better than this cheap mbp keyboard. The writing is much more comfortable. The keys are bigger and there is a space between them.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Clark

joeberger

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2021
I love my new MBP, but the keys feel like they rattle once fully depressed. Instead of getting a thump when I press a key like I did on my last two Macbook's I get a slight rattle. The space bar, enter and backspace keys are the worst for this, however most other keys feels great.

Anybody else notice any differences in keyboard performance?
Totally agree with that. Some keys are totally fine other feels very "rattle". The worst is definitely the Backspace, Space, Return, and the shift on the right side. Most keys on the right side of the keyboard have some rattle :-(. Super annoying.

Six0Four

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2020
Yup. Mine is the same. The keys on my M1 16" are better than the 14". (Bought both because I couldn't choose a size). The 14" has about 10 keys that felt loose.

ceribria

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
Totally agree with that. Some keys are totally fine other feels very "rattle". The worst is definitely the Backspace, Space, Return, and the shift on the right side. Most keys on the right side of the keyboard have some rattle :-(. Super annoying.
Those larger keys are all stabilized keys. They have a metal bar integrated to distribute force evenly between the left and right sides of the keycap. The rattle you're hearing is that stabilizer. You can't really do anything short of removing the keycap and lubing the bar. I would only recommend doing that on a real mechanical keyboard and not a laptop though.

That being said I kind of know what you're talking about for the rest of the keys. The alphas seem a lot less firm than my M1 Macbook Air's. I'm on a 16" M1 so I'm thinking it's due to a small increase in flex in the center of the keyboard. The Air is very compact so it sounds less hollow too.

This is still mile's ahead of my old 16" Intel though. That one just rattled, felt mushy, and required more force per keypress.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
i went to Best Buy and one of the display models felt identical to mine, and the other felt amazing. There was no rattle, keys just felt firm and had a nice “thonk” sound. It’s too bad, I wont return mine or complain but I wish the keys were more firm and had less rattle

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I tried and returned 3 different 14" and only one had an acceptable keyboard. The first one was fine but I returned it because of the tap-to-click issue, not knowing it was widespread. The 2nd one had mushy keys and I hated it. Like pressing a sponge.
The 3rd one was a disaster: the keys on the left half of the keyboard were very soft but "ok", but when you got to around the letter H they were became lifeless, and it was worse the further you went to the right. Starting from the letter L, the keys were dead and gave no feedback whatsoever.

All three 14" had the tap-to-click issue btw.
I gave up and took a 16" which happens to be flawless.

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Reactions: synergize

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
I tried and returned 3 different 14" and only one had an acceptable keyboard. The first one was fine but I returned it because of the tap-to-click issue, not knowing it was widespread. The 2nd one had mushy keys and I hated it. Like pressing a sponge.
The 3rd one was a disaster: the keys on the left half of the keyboard were very soft but "ok", but when you got to around the letter H they were became lifeless, and it was worse the further you went to the right. Starting from the letter L, the keys were dead and gave no feedback whatsoever.

All three 14" had the tap-to-click issue btw.
I gave up and took a 16" which happens to be flawless.
Sounds like a nightmare. I noticed the 16" in store always have better keyboards.

Very annoying.

rumonmh

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2022
same here, my enter makes a creaking noise just by touching not pressing. It annoys me so i usually press it in the center region to even the sound out.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
same here, my enter makes a creaking noise just by touching not pressing. It annoys me so i usually press it in the center region to even the sound out.
Ugh I noticed this on mine too. Makes me wonder if we're just very sensitive or if its actually a design flaw. Nobody else seems to notice these things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.