Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebastian XYZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
Hi!, I’m software developer working mainly with JavaScript (front end and backend). I have 13ich 2017 MBP with only 8gb ram and I would like to buy new 16ich MacBook. I’m wonder to witch part of MacBook is better to upgrade:
i7 to i9
Or 16gb ram to 32gb ram (when I’m working I’m using ~13GB of ram, chrome tabs, web storm, Figma, zeplin, Spotify and slack)
I want to buy this Mac for next 5 years. I don’t wanna buy both i9 with 32GB

thanks

Pbwj

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2018
It looks like you are on the verge of capacity memory consumption I would go with i7 32gb ram to futureproof for the next several years. The extra ram will be useful if you plan on doing design work, the i9 is only ~10% faster than the i7 at base clock speeds.

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
Hi!, I’m software developer working mainly with JavaScript (front end and backend). I have 13ich 2017 MBP with only 8gb ram and I would like to buy new 16ich MacBook. I’m wonder to witch part of MacBook is better to upgrade:
i7 to i9
Or 16gb ram to 32gb ram (when I’m working I’m using ~13GB of ram, chrome tabs, web storm, Figma, zeplin, Spotify and slack)
I want to buy this Mac for next 5 years. I don’t wanna buy both i9 with 32GB

thanks

Actually, when you're working with native device, mean not using virtual device for testing, 8GB is more than enough.
but, if you have 16GB is better than. your mac is smart to manage their ram needs.

dont spent to much for the max spec, to be honest, not everyone using their max spec (just prepare, just worry about, or something like that) and we never know what is technology, architecrure for next 3 year.

• Sad
Reactions: datpricetho
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.