Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you tried other chargers with your 16" MBP?

• I have tried other chargers and can not replicate this behaviour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I haven't tried other chargers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

git-anish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2020
I've noticed something peculiar. I know there have been multiple reports of the 16 inch running hot while plugged into external monitors or even while doing mundane tasks.

Has anyone tried to run their 16" MBP via a charger that isn't the official 96W apple charger?

I've noticed on my own MBP that when I run it using a GaN 61W charger I purchased it runs relatively cool. I generally always have turbo boost off as well.

However as soon as I plug in the 96W charger it runs hot. It charges hot. No matter what I'm doing. Again I have the turbo boost off and at most I'm doing web browsing and video playback.

I can feel that the tip of the USB-C charging cable reaches untouchable temperatures while charging on the 96W charger and that isn't at all the case on 61W GaN charger. The GaN charger causes the cable to be luke warm at most.

I have a suspicion that the reports of the 16" MBP running hot are due to its charger.

Anyone else notice this?

Would love to know if the problem of these MBPs running hot can be solved by using a different charger for others as well.
[automerge]1594440689[/automerge]

Reactions: ctrlzone

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
It will use more wattage during actual charging when it has it, especially during the initial fast bulk charge, so yes, during charging it will definitely get hotter with 96w than a smaller charger.

When just plugged in doing work on a charged battery, I wouldn't be surprised if it operated in a more constrained power envelope to try and match available power, but I don't have a 60w charger to do own testing there.

I expect it will still allow brief higher power peaks from battery, but longer term higher power usage would I hope be somewhat limited, but may not be? depends how Apple configured things.

git-anish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2020
It will use more wattage during actual charging when it has it, especially during the initial fast bulk charge, so yes, during charging it will definitely get hotter with 96w than a smaller charger.

I think I can rule this out, I decided to make this thread when my MacBook's cable got uncomfortably hot just charging from 95 to 100%

I expect it will still allow brief higher power peaks from battery, but longer term higher power usage would I hope be somewhat limited, but may not be? depends how Apple configured things.

I personally haven't noticed any slow downs but like I mentioned I"m not pushing the machine in the first place

I'll try to report back if I can test this out. I'm assuming apple allows for as much performance as possible even if it means draining the battery

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.