Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsk108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2016
Hi guys,

I'm having some difficulties of defining which RAM memories are compatible exactly with my MBP 17 2011 early, which is running currently on 2x4GB 1333Ghz DDR3 RAM memory and I want to upgrade it to 2x8 1600Ghz DDR3(l)? I live in Europe and purchasing RAM memories from US will be too pricey, so does someone knows which memory will be compatible and where can I buy it from Europe reseller? Any clues if you have already upgraded such memory for this model of MBP 17 will be great?

Thanks in advance :)

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Any modules of 204-pin DDR3 RAM up to 1600MHz and 8 GB per module (for a total of 16 GB) will work.
Amazon's a good option for a seller.

jsk108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2016
I noticed OWC has DDR3l (low voltage) as well is the DDR3l is also compatible? When you mention Amazon, maybe you refer to US one, which i dont want. Anything with US is not a bargain. When i pay the product, the vat and the shipment the total be too expensive for 16GB RAM. But i might be wrong ;)

Also is the timing (latency) of the RAMmatters as well? I heard different opinions which is compatible and which not. I am not proficient with RAMs so far. I got confused due this fact

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I noticed OWC has DDR3l (low voltage) as well is the DDR3l is also compatible?
- Yes, DDR3L is compatible. It can run both in low-voltage mode and the normal voltage required by 2011 machines.

When you mention Amazon, maybe you refer to US one, which i dont want. Anything with US is not a bargain. When i pay the product, the vat and the shipment the total be too expensive for 16GB RAM. But i might be wrong ;)
- Just use an European Amazon. UK, German, French, whatever. Or use whatever electronics shop you're familiar with.
Here's an example of a compatible kit.

Also is the timing (latency) of the RAMmatters as well?
- All will work. Some are slightly faster than others.

Some prefer using Crucial's compatibility check to be on the safe side. I think it's unnecessary, but whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:

jsk108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2016
Well noone in EU will buy in british pounds except britains themselves. Its the most expensive currency in EU. I actually might be able to get RAM from a local seller, just was not quite sure what the match criteria was. So in my conclusion should be DDR3/SODIMM and can be run on Low voltage with 1333 or 1600 Mgh. The timing as original 9-9-9 and later 10 & 11 will be compatible as well. Am I right?

PS: Actually i checked the shipping of the UK link you had sent me and turned out to be cheaper than the US one! Huh how come :$

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Well noone in EU will buy in british pounds except britains themselves. Its the most expensive currency in EU.
- I do that quite often, actually. :)

So in my conclusion should be DDR3/SODIMM and can be run on Low voltage with 1333 or 1600 Mgh. The timing as original 9-9-9 and later 10 & 11 will be compatible as well. Am I right?
- Right on all counts.

jsk108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2016
See, i was a bit prejudiced about british currency and now it playd a good trick on me :)

Omg. You actually solved my problem. Most probably I am going to purchase the kit you have recommended. The reviews was pretty optimistic too :)

jsk108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2016
I bought the Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3L 1600 SODIMM memory and worked very well! My macbook pro is like a new one and is flying !

Reactions: JTToft
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.