Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yzerguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
My iMac just died an ugly death. I'm not happy about it but I need to buy a new machine, I'm about to order a MBP 17.

Ideally I'd like to order the Lowepro Computrekker AW for my camera gear and the MBP 17 - I've read two posts from 2007 & 2008 where the OP stated their MBP 17 fit in the Computrekker AW, even though it is specified to have space for 15" notebook.

If there's no room I'll go for the Computrekker Plus AW (the "plus" is in the size, I guess), as it's rated for the 17", but if I can get away with the smaller Computrekker AW, I'd like to.

Anyone know for sure? I can't find any retailers carrying the Computrekker Plus AW so that I can check for myself, can only find it to order online.

Cheers, Sean

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
I don't know about the CompuTrekker, but I have a CompuDayPack in the black/grey combo that I've been procrastinating putting on Craigslist, since I don't need it anymore. It says it'll hold a 17" with no problem. I know it held my 13" MB with tons of room to spare.

It's been used exactly twice, both times because I was flying, and even packed full of gear, laptop, some cables, and multiple paperback books, it fits quite nicely under the seat in front of you.

I'm not sure if it'll hold all the EQ you want/need to pack into it, but if you're interested, send me a PM and we'll discuss more. I'd love to get it out of my closet ;)

Yzerguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Thx for the offer, but I'm fairly sure it won't be big enough, I've got a D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 16-35mm f/4 VR, 50mm f/1.4G, SB800, cable releases, 4 filters and more.

I posted here just in case anyone has input on your bag as well given the gear I've got to carry.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Sean

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
Thx for the offer, but I'm fairly sure it won't be big enough, I've got a D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 16-35mm f/4 VR, 50mm f/1.4G, SB800, cable releases, 4 filters and more.

I posted here just in case anyone has input on your bag as well given the gear I've got to carry.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Sean

I'm trying to remember what I packed into mine when I first used it ;) Let's see ... I think it was my Olympus E500 w/Sigma 105mm EX DG macro lens attached, 14-45mm, 45-150mm, Battery charger (with attached cable), and a couple of filters, and pretty sure I had a little room left over. Smaller lenses than what you'll be carting around (I didn't have my 70-300mm lens yet).

My last trip, I did the camera & laptop in 2 separate bags, because I needed something I could easily carry around Disney World & still get into when I needed. I used the LowePro Rezo 180AW, and managed to fit my camera body w/attached macro lens, 70-300mm lens, Metz 48AF-1 flash, mini-tripod (to help w/stabilization), wallet, iPhone 3G, and accessory bag containing a blower brush, kleenex, Flickr moo cards, dose of benadryl, and something else I can't remember ;)

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas

Thoughts?

Cheers, Sean

I don't think it'll fit a 17". I have one, which I use with my 13" MB, and while there's room, I don't think there's *enough* for the 17". Do you have anywhere you can go to test it out?

The bag itself though is fantastic. I fly regularly with my computer + cables, two camera bodies, a 24-70, 70-200, 50mm, 2 flashes and assorted batteries, memory cards, etc., and it's never let me down (though it's heavy as hell!)

With a book or so in the front pocket it doesn't quite fit under the seat in front of you, but it'll fit in the overhead bin just fine.

Aside from a pelican case which I'd check, I wouldn't trust my gear anywhere else.

Eaton Photos

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
KY
My iMac just died an ugly death. I'm not happy about it but I need to buy a new machine, I'm about to order a MBP 17.

Anyone know for sure? I can't find any retailers carrying the Computrekker Plus AW so that I can check for myself, can only find it to order online.

Cheers, Sean

If your looking to save some cash, might I suggest a Refurbished 17" Matte i5 MBP for $1999:http://store.apple.com/us-hed/product/G0GP3LL/A?mco=MTgxNTExOTc

OR

You can build/ buy a BNIB 17" Matte i5 for $2144. :)

Sean,

You've got a good line-up there, but your not going to be over-stuffing too many bags. What type/ style bag are you looking for? Shoulder, Backpack, Attache, etc? Where are you located? States or Overseas?

The Computrekker Plus AW, has been discontinued, so finding it won't be easy.

If your up to looking for something besides the Compu-XXXX Bags, I would suggest looking towards Think Tank Products. More specifically, the Urban Disguise line-up: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/urban-disguise-60-shoulder-computer-bag.aspx

I've stuffed my 15" MBP, 2 1D's, 16-35, 70-200, TC's, 580EX's, & much more, into a bag, that I have that is equivalent to the UD 60. Does get quite heavy on a long walk, but is very discreet.

Yzerguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
I don't think it'll fit a 17". I have one, which I use with my 13" MB, and while there's room, I don't think there's *enough* for the 17". Do you have anywhere you can go to test it out?

The bag itself though is fantastic. I fly regularly with my computer + cables, two camera bodies, a 24-70, 70-200, 50mm, 2 flashes and assorted batteries, memory cards, etc., and it's never let me down (though it's heavy as hell!)

With a book or so in the front pocket it doesn't quite fit under the seat in front of you, but it'll fit in the overhead bin just fine.

Aside from a pelican case which I'd check, I wouldn't trust my gear anywhere else.

Thx epic! If it's even remotely tight for the 17" I'll give it a miss and go for the "plus".

I agree about the bag being great, I got a long look at one last year when traveling with a friend through Paris/Amsterdam/Dublin, he had it and I liked what I saw.

I think the "non-plus" Trekker would be my choice, but not if it won't take the 17" -- and I hear you on the weight... that's the down side to owning fast tele-zooms.

Imagine if you had a 17 instead of the 13" in your bag! It's okay, I tend to only travel with it that heavy and then tend to lighten it up a bit when at location (hoteL) or whomever's home I am staying at.

Unfortunately I can't find one to test out -- @ Eaton Photos mentioned they've been discontinued, but I can still find them online, at this point, thinking I'll just order the "plus" tomorrow and be done with it.

Thanks again for the feedback, v. much appreciated.

Sean

Yzerguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
I'm trying to remember what I packed into mine when I first used it ;) Let's see ... I think it was my Olympus E500 w/Sigma 105mm EX DG macro lens attached, 14-45mm, 45-150mm, Battery charger (with attached cable), and a couple of filters, and pretty sure I had a little room left over. Smaller lenses than what you'll be carting around (I didn't have my 70-300mm lens yet).

My last trip, I did the camera & laptop in 2 separate bags, because I needed something I could easily carry around Disney World & still get into when I needed. I used the LowePro Rezo 180AW, and managed to fit my camera body w/attached macro lens, 70-300mm lens, Metz 48AF-1 flash, mini-tripod (to help w/stabilization), wallet, iPhone 3G, and accessory bag containing a blower brush, kleenex, Flickr moo cards, dose of benadryl, and something else I can't remember ;)

Thx again jfred, I can't say I know all of those lenses, also gotta say I was tempted to look them up just for general knowledge, but the specs on your bag from the link you provided won't cope with the 70-200 (and the 16-35 is pretty big too!). Cheers, Sean

Yzerguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
If your looking to save some cash...

I thought about refurbs, there's a few of those in town as well, but I'll pass. After my 1.5 year old iMac died I'm going Apple Care... Plus I want the i7 2.66 as this will be my main computer at home with an external monitor as well. Building... I've gone that route once before, not again. Although I'm not happy to be spending cash on a 'puter so soon, it helps me do what I do, so I won't cut corners, and time is money. I'm happy to pay Apple to build and warranty it for me. The iMac was a rare failure (I hope!).

Sean,

What type/ style bag are you looking for? Shoulder, Backpack, Attache, etc? Where are you located? States or Overseas?

The Computrekker Plus AW, has been discontinued, so finding it won't be easy.

I'm seeing a few in stock online, that said, I'll be placing an order soon. I'm located in Victoria, BC (Canada) but travel overseas once/twice per year. Definitely backpack. Shoulder is too hard on the back, attache gets in the way of other luggage.

I've stuffed my 15" MBP, 2 1D's, 16-35, 70-200, TC's, 580EX's, & much more, into a bag, that I have that is equivalent to the UD 60. Does get quite heavy on a long walk, but is very discreet.

Discreet is good, and I understand heavy. I have a P&S when discretion becomes a big factor, I'll leave the bulky stuff secured.

Thx, Sean

Eaton Photos

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
KY
I thought about refurbs, there's a few of those in town as well, but I'll pass. After my 1.5 year old iMac died I'm going Apple Care... Plus I want the i7 2.66 as this will be my main computer at home with an external monitor as well. Building... I've gone that route once before, not again. Although I'm not happy to be spending cash on a 'puter so soon, it helps me do what I do, so I won't cut corners, and time is money. I'm happy to pay Apple to build and warranty it for me. The iMac was a rare failure (I hope!).

If you buy a Refurb through the Apple Store, it comes with 90 Days Phone & a Full 1 Year Parts Warranty. And you can add Apple Care onto it. I've got a Refurb iMac + Apple Care, and its been great. 2 internal display panels replaced at no cost. Apple Care has been a life-saver. The one I linked you, is an i5, not an i7. I don't see a substantial difference between the i5 & i7, that warrants such a price difference.

Good Luck though.

On the Backpacks, before you lock in on the Trekker, I will suggest Think Tank again. Their bags a very well padded & yet discreet: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker-harddrive-backpack.aspx

I called TT, for ya. Based on your gear, they recommend the Streetwalker HDD, which will hold a 17" no problem at all, plus all the gear you have & then some. Also the SW HDD has anchor points for a Tripod. Just something to consider. Plus, TT has dealers in BC. :) Not trying to sway you away from Lowepro, but the TT gear is literally indestructible, and has a lifetime warranty.

Again Good Luck, & Happy Shopping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.