Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vingallo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2021
Trying to get mac mid 2012 13" to install/dual boot ubuntu. Running Catalina w/ bootloader 424 and the original apple HDD 500G spinning drive. I have tried multiple linux distro installs and also using ReFind, but virtually every installation fails when trying to create the EXT4 partition.

I have tried making the required extra partitions for linux formatted as empty space, mac journals, afps, ext fat, and fat32 before doing the install the results are always the same, installer fails when creating ext4 filesystem.

In Gparted when manually trying to create the ext4 partition it fails and unmounts the drive.

I have no idea how to get linux installed and could use some help. Please let me know how do get this done. Thank you.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
there is a "ask me anything" linux forum here that might help.
I tried installing 3 different linux platforms on my MacBook air 2010 without any success.

vingallo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2021
I tried installing 3 different linux platforms on my MacBook air 2010 without any success.
I will look for that forum. From what I can see there are several guides and videos of people successfully installing linux on the 2012 macbook pro model but like I said on my system it just hangs at the creating ext4 partition stage. Hope I can find a workable solution, and that you do too.

vingallo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2021
Seeing that my post found a new home in the linux/bootcamp thread. I remain optimistic. Thanks in advanced for anyone who can help.

vingallo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2021
Anyone ?

The relevant error during installation is that it failed to install, problematic command is -> mkfs.ext4 -qF /dev/sda.

None of the installation guides or videos I have seen encountered this error in creating the ext4 filesystem partition during ubuntu/manjaro/mint installation.

How do I get this fixed and run Linux on my macbook pro 2012 ?

vingallo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2021
Well I did not hear from anyone trying to fix this; so I just fixed it myself (A lot of time later) and want to help anyone else who is encountering the same issue.

If you have a Macbook pro 2012 and want to dual boot linux and it gives the errors above no matter what you do try this.

1) Apple spinning HDD replaced with SSD
2) Booted with windows boot disk, opened command prompt and used diskpart to fully delete partition table.
3) Booted Linux, what ever flavor you like, build the partition table and the partitions for Linux install. Also made some generic NTFS partitions to over write with mac install later.
4) Install Linux
3) Then install boot disk for MACOS, and install

Voila Mac and Linux working without error preventing installation. Nothing else I tried worked.

If you want tripple boot for WIndows, just run boot camp at this stage.

If you want even more distros/OSs make the relevant EFI partitions for boot and run ReFind.

If this helps a single person avoid the time waste I went through, well, it was worth it.

Enjoy.

Reactions: ToniCH

vingallo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2021
see post above if you are still struggling with Linux on Mac ;)

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
see post above if you are still struggling with Linux on Mac ;)
thanks for the reply, i gave up!
Tech Tips Linus can't install linux, neither should me.

the only thing i miss in mountain lion lately is the iCloud usage, which is irrelevant
when Mojave is finally sodomized, strangled and left for dead by  like Mt Lion in 2021
i wont internets

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.