Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2014
I got a deal for around $900 on ebay for a 15" 2.2 2014 mbp w/16gb ram, just wondering whether I should go through with it or not. I know batteries go to a 1000 charges, then 80%, so I'd still have some good use of the battery right?

thanks

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
The battery can go at any minute. Or last to a little beyond 1000 cycles. In almost 3 years, it's been through a lot of cycles. In my (limited) experience, exercising a battery like this helps it get closer to 1000 - my daughter's MBA went to over that mark before the "Service Battery" warning came on. OTOH, my wife's didn't reach 400 before the "Service Battery" came on. FWIW, the former runs her battery all the way down before plugging, the latter usually has it plugged in. Ion any event, a new battery, installed from Apple, is $129.

mrdf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2014
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. So do you think if I practice good battery charging when I get it, it's a good deal if the MBP 15" 2014 2.2 w/16gb ram is in good condition otherwise for the price? OR should I look for a MBP with less battery charge cycle? Though you said it could go any time ...decisions, decisions...

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. So do you think if I practice good battery charging when I get it, it's a good deal if the MBP 15" 2014 2.2 w/16gb ram is in good condition otherwise for the price? OR should I look for a MBP with less battery charge cycle? Though you said it could go any time ...decisions, decisions...

I have the same computer actually. It's pretty brillant in my opinion. My battery health is still at 97%. It is however only reporting 277 cycles, and I have no idea how anyone can get 759 cycles pushed through it that quickly.

I'd say get it, and get a new battery installed from Apple if you feel like it's necessary

mrdf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2014
Ya, that was my only concern. It seemed pretty high to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.