Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Something is happening with my MBP 2015. When the battery gets empty the machine doesn't go to deep sleep (or whatever the name was) like my old MBP 2011. Today I was working on the plane on battery power. I received the usual low battery warning but decided to continue working as I was finishing a web form publication using Chrome. The Mac got empty of juice and turned itself off. I didn't think much of it because this had happened many times before on my old MBP 2011 and it alwaøys went into deep sleep saving all my work, including the contents of half filled web forms.

I got surprised when I connected the Mac at the office after arrival and found that it didn't come to life when I opened the lid. I got an even bigger surprise after powering it on and typing the password: I saw all the programs opening again but Chrome just displayed "Chrome was not closed correctly" and I had to press the Restore button. All the webpages were loaded correctly but the contents of the web form I was working in on the plane were lost.

Why cannot the newer MBP 2015 restore correctly all the contents of the working session as it was before the battery died, when the older MBP 2011 never had a problem with this? The older machine used deep sleep (hibernation) and I never lost work because of an empty battery on it, including the full state of Google Chrome and all the programs that were opened at the time.

I am using macOS Sierra and my SSD is encrypted with FileVault.

Is this normal on all the newer Macs with Sierra or is this a problem with my MBP?

THank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.