Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerrythemonster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Long story short, I got a refurbished 2016 15" MBP, the speaker blew 3 times, each time they repaired it by replacing the top case and logic board until they gave me a 2017 15" MBP replacement. I thought the problem would be solved but it happened 2 weeks ago, sent in for repair again. Just this morning the speaker is blown again.
How do I know it's blown? It happens when the computer wakes up from sleep and makes a zapping electric sound from one side of the speakers. Whenever I heard the sound, I would go to MIDI setup and test either side of the speaker, and the speaker that makes the zapping sound never fails to disappoint. Below is the YouTube video that shows a MBP that has the same symptoms.
I'm really disappointed right now, every time I sent in the laptop it would take 1-2 weeks to fix. It's the 5th time the speakers are blown since I bought the MacBook Pro and it's only been 6 months. If I knew there were so many problems with the speaker, I would rather buy a normal Windows laptop...
[doublepost=1514494672][/doublepost]If anyone have any fix, or any ideas on how to take precaution to not break the speaker, please reply, thanks.

Reactions: Natzoo

JordyLM

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2018
This same thing happened to my previous refurbished 15 inch mbp 2017. It happened exactly as you mentioned it -- after waking up from sleep, it makes one loud zapping noise and the constant noise like your video shows. Not sure what exactly happened there, but I returned that refurbished model, and got a NEW 15 inch 2017.

Now after using it for a few days, I got this really weird bug that happened earlier. I was watching a video on IINA app while using apple earphone on the headphone jack. After done watching, I unplugged it, and i was trying to watch some videos on youtube but it made this really loud, almost scary, screeching noise. The noise doesnt happen when I mute my speaker, but happens as soon as I have speakers on, even on the lowest. I was freaking out and, in fear of ruining my speakers yet again, I shut my mbp right away (forgetting to document the noise through video...)

For the record, I'm still running Sierra 10.12.6. I'm trying to narrow down the issue whether it's sierra, IINA app, or my apple earphone.

jerrythemonster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
That is weird, I would suggest resetting your SMC and PRAM, here is the tutorial.
https://www.macworld.com/article/2881177/macs/how-to-reset-your-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html
My speaker is still blown, but I have to wait till end of this term since I'm a computer science major, so I'm stuck with it.
Anyway, I found a thread on Apple forum for people with the same issue.
Volume triggered muffles: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8014046.
Btw, the "most helpful" answer on the forum does not solve the problem, it only resets the speaker, but the volume triggered muffle problem still persist after setting frequencies on MIDI.

kevincaja

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
Hi all, I guess I'm not the only one. My MacBook Pro 15 inch late 2017 also suffered this. It started when I opened the lid of the MacBook Pro from sleep and plugged the charger on the left side thunderbolt port. After that, a loud crackling sound came from the left side speaker, and it also sounded similar to the attached video of the OP. After playing some music, I noticed that sound is somewhat imbalanced and after playing music that has high notes and cymbals, the left side speaker indeed sounds veiled, bassy and muffled with all the highs gone. I also reset SMC and NVRAM but still the same. To hear a demo, watch the video below:

I've scheduled a genius bar appointment to see if they can repair it or better yet, exchange it same day. As the computer is only 10 days old.

I will update after.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Hi all, I guess I'm not the only one. My MacBook Pro 15 inch late 2017 also suffered this. It started when I opened the lid of the MacBook Pro from sleep and plugged the charger on the left side thunderbolt port. After that, a loud crackling sound came from the left side speaker, and it also sounded similar to the attached video of the OP. After playing some music, I noticed that sound is somewhat imbalanced and after playing music that has high notes and cymbals, the left side speaker indeed sounds veiled, bassy and muffled with all the highs gone. I also reset SMC and NVRAM but still the same. To hear a demo, watch the video below:

I've scheduled a genius bar appointment to see if they can repair it or better yet, exchange it same day. As the computer is only 10 days old.

I will update after.
Ive never seen this many issues on a laptop, especially an apple one. Like come on, this forum is basically flooded with lemon 2016/2017 macs, apples quality has definitely gone down the drain and the prices have increased. It is becoming the new FCA brand, someone should email Tim Cook or gather all the threads from a bunch of forums and give it to the media. I had a 2013 15" and now a 2015 15" and im glad i didnt upgrade to the 2017. It sucks tho, I used to be so excited for a new apple product but now i have to wait for apple to get over this phase.

Reactions: unobtainium

kevincaja

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015

I will update after.
Okay so I took my MacBook Pro back to Apple Store here in Hong Kong (IFC Apple Store) yesterday and they checked the speaker playing songs and audio with lots of highs and they clearly acknowledge the problem no questions asked, I did however declined for them giving me a brand new boxed replacement (not the white box refurbished stuff but a brand new one) as that might have the same problem as well. I requested them instead to perform a repair and they suggested to replace the whole top case which includes new speakers (new battery, touch bar and touch ID). Now I have to wait 3 to 5 days and they'll call me back when I can pick up my MacBook Pro.

I will update again after.

jerrythemonster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Um.... turn down the volume?
Get headphones?
The funny thing is I have an external speaker, I don't even use the internal speaker on MBP that much, and if so, it is always around 30% volume.
[doublepost=1518902486][/doublepost]Since I need my laptop for school, I didn't send it in the 5th time the speaker is blown. It's been almost 2 months, and the left speaker's low frequency sounds weird after another "boom" sound after I wake up the laptop again. And 2 days ago the right 1/3 portion of the touch bar started to flicker for no reason. Resetting SMV and NVRAM did not solve the issue. I guess this is just getting started.

Reactions: unobtainium

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Ouch!

That was one issue I did NOT have with the 2016 or 2017 models I've had. The speakers on them are one (and perhaps the only) thing on the 2016/2017 models that I think is inarguably better than on the 2015 and earlier models.

JordyLM

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2018
The funny thing is I have an external speaker, I don't even use the internal speaker on MBP that much, and if so, it is always around 30% volume.
[doublepost=1518902486][/doublepost]Since I need my laptop for school, I didn't send it in the 5th time the speaker is blown. It's been almost 2 months, and the left speaker's low frequency sounds weird after another "boom" sound after I wake up the laptop again. And 2 days ago the right 1/3 portion of the touch bar started to flicker for no reason. Resetting SMV and NVRAM did not solve the issue. I guess this is just getting started.
Yeah I'm starting to believe that this is due to the fact that the speakers in the new MBP are connected directly to the system power, which is why the "boom" sound only happens after waking up the laptop. I have given up on this 15inch MBP and returned it.

Reactions: kevincaja

kevincaja

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
Yeah I'm starting to believe that this is due to the fact that the speakers in the new MBP are connected directly to the system power, which is why the "boom" sound only happens after waking up the laptop. I have given up on this 15inch MBP and returned it.
Good for you, I wanted to return the laptop for a brand new full spec 12 inch MacBook Retina but I guess its too late as I've told them to do the repairs. I did return the computer within 14 days but I guess I'll just try and ask if I can exchange the computer to the 12 inch MacBook Retina. I do play audio from the built in speakers of the computer when I listen to podcasts etc. but having another external speaker plugged in or connected via bluetooth doesn't seem to justify the HK$21,688 ($2,799.00 for US) I paid for the laptop. I do hope I can get an exchange. Return and exchange policy for Apple Hong Kong is a pain...

HawtTuna

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2010
This happened to me too. Took a week or so for them to repair it. I kinda regret buying this laptop now that I know there are so many problems associated with it.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Long story short, I got a refurbished 2016 15" MBP, the speaker blew 3 times, each time they repaired it by replacing the top case and logic board until they gave me a 2017 15" MBP replacement. I thought the problem would be solved but it happened 2 weeks ago, sent in for repair again. Just this morning the speaker is blown again.
How do I know it's blown? It happens when the computer wakes up from sleep and makes a zapping electric sound from one side of the speakers. Whenever I heard the sound, I would go to MIDI setup and test either side of the speaker, and the speaker that makes the zapping sound never fails to disappoint. Below is the YouTube video that shows a MBP that has the same symptoms.
I'm really disappointed right now, every time I sent in the laptop it would take 1-2 weeks to fix. It's the 5th time the speakers are blown since I bought the MacBook Pro and it's only been 6 months. If I knew there were so many problems with the speaker, I would rather buy a normal Windows laptop...
[doublepost=1514494672][/doublepost]If anyone have any fix, or any ideas on how to take precaution to not break the speaker, please reply, thanks.

You need to contact Apple Care and let them know that you have this issue and that it has been repaired X amount of times & then they will move you up to a tier 2 tech support who can look further into your case and possibly just take your MBP back and replace it with a new one.

JessePinkman

Suspended
Feb 18, 2018
for me it was happened right after high sierra upgrade the left speaker is blown now thanks to terrible drivers couldnt handle one small electric spike while it was doing great in el capitan & sierra i think they have some terrible coding in high sierra's power management which is responsible for protecting speakers from those voltage & electric spikes...

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Not everyone suffers from this issue. So when on one model the speaker breaks 5 times in a row, you would think they're not replacing the right parts.

kevincaja

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
Okay so I took my MacBook Pro back to Apple Store here in Hong Kong (IFC Apple Store) yesterday and they checked the speaker playing songs and audio with lots of highs and they clearly acknowledge the problem no questions asked, I did however declined for them giving me a brand new boxed replacement (not the white box refurbished stuff but a brand new one) as that might have the same problem as well. I requested them instead to perform a repair and they suggested to replace the whole top case which includes new speakers (new battery, touch bar and touch ID). Now I have to wait 3 to 5 days and they'll call me back when I can pick up my MacBook Pro.

I will update again after.
So Apple called me after three days since I returned the laptop and said that my MacBook Pro is ready for pickup. I've done multiple attempts to recreate the event on where my left speaker blew up. I closed the lid and let my computer to sleep and wake, plugging and unplugging the charger multiple times on all the ports and so far my speakers are intact. I had the laptop for 3 days now and resumed from sleep after a full day for two times now and immediately plugged the charger and so far my speakers are still working correctly.

So far here are the things I noticed:
- The speakers now sound much fuller. Previously my speakers sound piercing to my ears, it still have bass but the highs are too loud. The speakers also sound a bit quieter than the previous one I had. And lastly it does not distort anymore when I slide the volume to 100% (not that I do it anyway, I only listen 50% to 60% max).
- Since my keyboard got replaced as well, the keys are much quieter and does not have that clicky high pitched sound when the laptop is hot (doing CPU and GPU intensive tasks).

JordyLM

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2018
So Apple called me after three days since I returned the laptop and said that my MacBook Pro is ready for pickup. I've done multiple attempts to recreate the event on where my left speaker blew up. I closed the lid and let my computer to sleep and wake, plugging and unplugging the charger multiple times on all the ports and so far my speakers are intact. I had the laptop for 3 days now and resumed from sleep after a full day for two times now and immediately plugged the charger and so far my speakers are still working correctly.

So far here are the things I noticed:
- The speakers now sound much fuller. Previously my speakers sound piercing to my ears, it still have bass but the highs are too loud. The speakers also sound a bit quieter than the previous one I had. And lastly it does not distort anymore when I slide the volume to 100% (not that I do it anyway, I only listen 50% to 60% max).
- Since my keyboard got replaced as well, the keys are much quieter and does not have that clicky high pitched sound when the laptop is hot (doing CPU and GPU intensive tasks).
That's great news. I never had any issues with my 15" keyboard though. My maxed out 12" just arrived today. Excited for that.

wpshala

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2019
Harringay, London
This happened to me too. The touchbar is also constantly crashing, and I often have to reset audio from the command line. The power management is basically garbage on this (2017) macbook pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.