Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

underattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
One of my USB-C ports appears to be "dead". The left front one no longer works. Devices I plug into it are not recognized, and it will not even charge via the port. After an SMC reset, it came back briefly, but only to turn itself "off" shortly after. A simple reboot will not bring it back.

I first recognized it after upgrading to High Sierra. Is it possible that High Sierra caused this? Anybody else seeing this issue? Or was the issue that I plugged the power supply as well as the thunderbolt docking station (via USB-C -> Thunderbolt adapter) both into the left side? That appeared to have triggered the shutdown after the SMC reset. (but I didn't yet get around to reproduce this)

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
I've had the same. Brought it back to the store, and when they got around to testing it (a couple of days later), the problem had apparently solved itself. Have you used a charger from a disreputable brand?

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Try a plastic / wood tooth pick and check the connector for lint.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It's still under warranty.
Take it to an Apple Store and have them check it out.

underattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
will probably end up bringing it to the store. The only problem is that I won't be home for another 4 weeks (traveling through various countries). How long does a repair typically take?
[doublepost=1507045453][/doublepost]seems to be a bit hit and miss what works / doesn't work. I just connected an Avotech usb-c "hub" device (network card / USB-A ...) and it looks like it works. Charging, via the Apple power supply, still doesn't work. :/

underattack

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I cleaned the port with folded piece of paper and nothing notable was stuck in it. Seems to be working so far as a “regular” USB port but not for charging

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.