Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iheardthedrums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2017
So my laptop is fairy new, about a month old. But lately I've noticed that even if the wifi is connected, websites won't load. I have to turn off the wifi and then turn it on again for it to be able to work. It doesn't happen very often though.

Should I be concerned about this? If there's a problem, I'd like to have it fixed asap.

If it helps, the same thing happens to my iPhone 6s wherein I would have to turn it off and on again for the wifi to work. I just assumed that it was a coincidence.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
If it's happening to more than one device, I would suspect it's the wifi where you are or other environmental factors (2.4ghz interference, etc)

Reactions: iheardthedrums

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
If it's happening to more than one device, I would suspect it's the wifi where you are or other environmental factors (2.4ghz interference, etc)

I think Robvas might be on to something. Cordless phones, microwaves, etc mess up 2.4Ghz transmission.

Try 5 GHz if you can and your router is not too far from your computer. 5GHz has shorter range and is more impacted by walls between you and router. And, if you have fast connection (100+ mpbs) 5Gz is the only way to get full wireless throughput.

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
Let me tell you change the router. I got this problem on my mbp 2016 until I change to used netgear nighthawk everything went away.

iheardthedrums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2017
Do you use a Linksys router by any chance?
Nope, I don't! It's just a technicolor router provided by our ISP.
[doublepost=1513770608][/doublepost]
I think Robvas might be on to something. Cordless phones, microwaves, etc mess up 2.4Ghz transmission.

Try 5 GHz if you can and your router is not too far from your computer. 5GHz has shorter range and is more impacted by walls between you and router. And, if you have fast connection (100+ mpbs) 5Gz is the only way to get full wireless throughput.
Alright! Thank you very much! I'll try that! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.