Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2018Ram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
Hello everyone! I am about to buy a MacBook Pro 2018 13 inch, but I am still not sure about the version that I am going to get. After reading a lot of forums and articles, I am closer to getting one with 512GB SSD, 8GB of RAM and the i5 processor. What is your opinion, would you personally prefer 16GB of RAM and 256GB SSD? Some of the reasons I prefer the SSD a little more are; 1. The bigger the SSD, the faster (right?) 2. I always had at least 500GB of storage, I feel anything less is not enough (not sure though!)

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
You know the first question will be what are you going to use it for :)

But yes if you can only have one upgrade I would go with the SSD. Many of us are running 8GB of ram with out a problem. Apple does an excellent job on resourcing the ram.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Many people require, 32GB, others 16, some can live with 4GB.

Why, because their usage demands that, and so its difficult to say what's better for one person out of the blue. It really depends on your usage and your priority. You can easily fill up internal storage, but you can then buy an external drive, but you cannot accommodate more ram, so just coming in blind, I'd say more ram is better. Saying that, if you're usage is such that you don' need 16GB, then it will be a waste of money

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
Hello everyone! I am about to buy a MacBook Pro 2018 13 inch, but I am still not sure about the version that I am going to get. After reading a lot of forums and articles, I am closer to getting one with 512GB SSD, 8GB of RAM and the i5 processor. What is your opinion, would you personally prefer 16GB of RAM and 256GB SSD? Some of the reasons I prefer the SSD a little more are; 1. The bigger the SSD, the faster (right?) 2. I always had at least 500GB of storage, I feel anything less is not enough (not sure though!)
If you absolutely have no extra budget, get the 16GB RAM, because you can get very fast external storage via thunderbolt. (or very slow ones for much cheaper)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Tell us what apps you regularly use, or will be using after you get the new MBP.

If I had the choice, I'd probably get the larger drive and let the RAM go at 8gb.
But my usage needs are not as demanding as those of some users...

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Well it is clear there is no point purchasing anything less than 512GB going by your post so the only decision you have is if you want to upgrade to 16GB or not. That I am afraid no one can say, perhaps you can give more details of your usage.

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
I'd go with the SSD first unless you're going to do RAM-intensive tasks like running VMs.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I'd go with RAM since it can't be upgraded later. You can always get an external SSD but you can't get external RAM.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
RAM upgrade first, storage second. Can't upgrade RAM ever, Storage could change - You may go more cloud based, you may get an eGPU with storage capacity or you can use external. If you can just get both.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
No question; 16gb RAM.

Obviously what you intend to do with the machine will have a say, but think of it like this. If you're the kind of individual that requires a lot of storage, the chances are that you're going to be running resource-hungry apps. Which means that RAM will also be a factor...

The benefit of going for extra RAM - aside from it being un-upgradeable post purchase - is that you can always move storage between the MacBook and an external drive. What's more, the prices of these drives are coming down all the time. I recently bought a 500gb G-Drive R Series (SSD, very rugged and leading speeds) for just £125 off Amazon. Conversely, I could have spent almost double just for an extra 256gb of internal storage.

Finally, if you settle for the storage upgrade over RAM, that means that resource hungry apps will require more compressed memory. This is allocated to your internal SSD, and while only temporary for as long as those apps are open, it's still storage being used up.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I would get the Ram, you can always buy an external hard drive but you can’t add more ram to these MacBook Pro’s.

Random question but when buying the 512GB storage how much is actually free out of the box? I know that it won’t be 512GB because the OS takes some up and then there are updates over time.

Reactions: Elcompa

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I vote RAM.
Like others said, can always add external SSD. The 512 is not alot either so will probably have an external drive anyway.

Reactions: Dave245

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It depends what you’re using it for. I’d lean to 16GB but I use 8GB/256 today and have no issues at all, though I use NAS to supplement my storage. I did 4GB and that didn’t work for me.

I’m mainly using Office documents, Lightroom, and Safari.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Unless you are into VMs I would not bother with a RAM upgrade. MacOS is very RAM efficient and the standard 8GB is way more than most people need - given the SSD speed the vanishingly small chance of a memory page-out is done rather swiftly.

I'd go with extra storage space - pretty much the only upgrade that holds some value on the secondhand market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.