Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decisions

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
Hello fellow Mac users,

I've posted about variations of this issue a few times on the forums here, so I'll keep this relatively short. I've had a mostly great experiences with my 2018 MBP except for one notable problem: kernel panics. Or at least, I assume that is the right term for what happens when a process called "kernel_task" takes 100-700% of my CPU and makes the computer nearly unusable until I can fix the problem (this can be either through restarts, or unplugging the computer, or a pure shut down, there is no reliable solution). It sucks to know that this is killing the longevity of my machine by making it so hot, although I know the 2016-2019 MBPs are likely somewhat doomed in terms of longevity due their design causing poor thermals.

This seems to have increased in frequency over the past week since upgrading to Catalina 10.15.5. Has anyone else experienced anything similar, and if I call Apple what useful information can I have on hand? For instance, if my computer freezes because of the kernel_task process and I am forced to force restart it, is there anywhere I can go that will give me some kind of diagnostic info of why the computer froze? Thanks.

EDIT: The last time this happened I got this weird pop-up that I've never seen before. I've had many more apps than this open at once before, so this must have been an error right?

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 6.52.40 PM.png

[automerge]1591312212[/automerge]

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.