Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luiskonrad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2022
Hi there.

I opened a Zip file and immediately my MBP started to became very slow. As I was not using the charger at this point and the battery was low, it turned off quickly. I then realized that this was probably a virus/malware, unfortunately.

I then connected the USB-C charger and tried to charge the computer to then figure out how to remove the virus/malware.

To my surprise, the ports don't seem to be working anymore. The computer is simply not charing.

I've already tried all the combinations that we can do with the keyboard such as Shift+Control+Option, Option+Command+R+P, etc. Nothing works. I don't even see the red icon that indicates that you have very low battery when you press the ON button.

Can I virus really disable my USB-C ports?

In this case, the only way to fix it is to take the MBP to Apple Support?

Appreciate any help.

Luís

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your MBPro has a T2 chip, so you need to follow the steps that are needed with that chip.
The SMC controls power, battery, charging, and also manages power to the USB ports - so, very possible that a proper SMC reset will get you going again:
Yours is a "Notebook computer with the T2 chip" so follow the steps in that section.
Notice that the keyboard shortcut is split to different sides of the keyboard - different than previous models.

I would also probably try disconnecting the battery - you have to remove the bottom cover to get at the battery connector. There's an iFixit article that will show you how to do that.
Any 2019 MBPro uses pretty much the same steps to remove the bottom cover.

Virus or malware that would disable power to the USB ports? What would be the point of that (from a scammer's view)?
I think it's a coincidence. Find out if a proper SMC reset fixes that - or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.