Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love-hate šŸ relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Hello everyone

I have a mbp14, whose feeling isn't as amazing as what I have tried in stores

I went back to an apple store today and,to my surprise,i noticed that even there the keyboard was different between units.

I'd say there are two kinds :

1-not as long travel, muffle,doesn't feel as sweet and soft

2-less reactive perhaps,but more key travel,softer

Am i crazy or does anybody else notice that? Shall i call my unit "defective for such" ?

I'm gonna be honest I don't trust it's a deffect,yet the feeling on my keyboard just doesn't feel as comfortable as the one in appstore(those which were softer obviously lol)

robertfrancis70

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
I was skeptical of this until testing a 16" at BB and being struck by the difference. Much firmer than my 14", which I believe would be OP's #2. Happier with #2.

robertfrancis70

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
I believe so. You couldn't be sure unless you had them side by side. But I notice the ease or softness of the keys on my 14 (and savour it!) every time I sit down to type. And when trying the 16 at Best Buy, I noticed the difference immediately. It wasn't just a stiffer feel to the keys but a different feel.

This is getting very into the weeds about keyboards, but I love it. I'm all about these super subtle differences...

drxcm

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
Definitely true,

Our 14 has firmer feeling keys and our 16 much softer. Iā€™m not sure which i prefer. Prob the 14.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.