Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elvingomez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Its my fiances birthday and she is getting seriously into digital photography. She has a 15.4 MBP and a D80. Are there any bags out there that will accommodate and protect the two??

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
There are some backpacks that do it. I'll track down the brand of one, but Crumpler have some.

Do you want a backpack though? Or is a messenger back preferred?

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Perhaps you should look at the Tamrac Adventure 9. Its a great bag. I own one myself and fit my 17" MBP, D80 with attatched lens and also a few other lenses and filters, etc. I always recommend it to people looking for a computer/camera bag :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The Adventure 9 is OK.

What type of camera bag do you want? Some camera bags will hold your laptop, and a ****load of camera gear (think an SLR or DSLR body, maybe 2 bodies, and 4-5 mid-sized lenses). Lowepro, Crumpler, and Tamrac make them, along with other brands like Think Tank Photo (expensive, though).

Other bags, like the Tamrac Adventure 9, Crumpler Customary Barge, and Lowepro CompuRover AW are different. They have 3 compartments rather than two. They carry a laptop, some of your camera gear (your DSLR + lens attached, and maybe 2 extra lenses), and have a 3rd compartment for general stuff (eg: a jumper/hoodie, water bottle, map, snacks, a smaller p&s camera, etc). However, this 3rd "general" compartment is the reason why this type of bag carries less photography equipment.

I looked into this in detail before purchasing my bag last year, which is why I know more about the 3 compartment bags than I do about 2 compartment backpacks

I own the Crumpler Sinking Barge, which is like the Customary Barge, but smaller. Now, I wish had bought the Customary Barge. :eek: This is the only 3 compartment backpack that will let you access the camera compartment without taking off the backpack!!! :) That's a HUGE plus, IMO. Also, it's the only backpack that has a general compartment capable of carrying paper products, like 8.5" x 11" sheets, notebooks, magazines, etc, without you needing to fold or roll it. The quality and straps are better than the Adventure 9 (IMO), but it carries less photography gear than the Adventure 9, which is the only downside of the Crumpler. The Adventure 9 carries a lot of gear considering it's a 3-compartment backpack.

I don't know as much about the Lowepro CompuRover AW, but I like the design of the camera compartment more, although I don't know if it's comfortable at all. Maybe it's the least comfortable backpack out of the 3. I really don't know, but it may be worth a risk. Lowepro is a good company. :)

PS: I just wanted to add that I just purchased a Lowepro Slingshot 200. :)

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I'm looking into the same thing at the moment, having gone from a D70s with just a 18-200mm VR to having 3 more lenses - so my Crumpler Ben's Pizza XL doesn't cut it anymore than a day bag now.

I was wanting to fit the body and four lenses, with some accessories (CF cards, mini tripod, angle viewer and SB400 flash) my MBP (when it arrives!) and the general type of stuff you'll want spending a day on your feet. I know I won't be walking around with the MBP all of the time, and this could yield some extra space, but not enough for a light jacket, bottle of water and other such stuff.

I swear by Crumpler, even more so having recently spend an afternoon on top of a mountain with it hammering down with rain and hail to find my camera equipment bone dry. Great stuff.
The bag I'm going to get is the Pretty Boy XL. Excellent padded space at the base of the back pack, with enough room for my camera, 4 lenses and accessories, a laptop pouch on the back section, and a suitably roomy section in front of the laptop and above the camera section for everything else. And its a good price too!

View it here:

Crumpler Homepage

PS The Crumpler site is a little odd...

islandman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
Its my fiances birthday and she is getting seriously into digital photography. She has a 15.4 MBP and a D80. Are there any bags out there that will accommodate and protect the two??

I own the Kata R-103, which holds the MBP and my Canon D-30, along with lenses and accessories. I love Kata bags :).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wow, the Crumpler UK website is different than Crumpler in other countries. :confused: Every other Crumpler website I've seen is standardised to the Australian one (which is where Crumpler originated).

Um....anyway, the products there are also different to the ones in other countries, so I don't know much about the UK stuff. Anyway, that Pretty Boy Back Pack XL (you said you were looking at the backpack, right?) doesn't look big enough to fit your camera + 4 lenses. The Opulent Rooster XL would barely fit 4 lenses and my camera, and it has a larger camera compartment. It would be good enough, as would the Stripper Zipper.

Actually, it depends on how large your lenses are. If the compartment seems small, and yet they still say "It fits 4 lenses", I usually assume it's 3 lenses. If you get a backpack with a larger compartment, then you're guaranteed that 4 good-sized lenses are possible. I have 3 mid-sized lenses (Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 with 82 mm filter size!, Tokina 12-24 mm, and Nikon 105 mm VR macro), and only 1 small lens (50 mm f/1.8). Crumpler said my Sinking Barge said it would fit a DSLR, 1 large lens, 1 mid-sized lens, and a flash. I can barely fit the DSLR and 2 lenses, but there's no way to add a flash.

So again, it depends on your lenses. :)

SCgirl86

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
Charleston, SC
need a backpack...

So I just got a new 13 inch MacBook and need a good back pack for it. I've been looking online and there are soooo many to choose from. I'm in college and will have multiple classes in a row so I need something with quite a bit of space. Does anyone know of any good backpacks?

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
I have traveled quite a bit with the Lowepro computreker bag. It holds my 15 mbp and Canon EOS system quite easily. It fits under the seat of a plane so it counts for carry on. I use a smaller one without wheels. I have one at work with wheels and a handle so I can wheel down the hallways carrying even more stuff.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Um....anyway, the products there are also different to the ones in other countries, so I don't know much about the UK stuff. Anyway, that Pretty Boy Back Pack XL (you said you were looking at the backpack, right?) doesn't look big enough to fit your camera + 4 lenses. The Opulent Rooster XL would barely fit 4 lenses and my camera, and it has a larger camera compartment. It would be good enough, as would the Stripper Zipper.

Actually, it depends on how large your lenses are. If the compartment seems small, and yet they still say "It fits 4 lenses", I usually assume it's 3 lenses. If you get a backpack with a larger compartment, then you're guaranteed that 4 good-sized lenses are possible. I have 3 mid-sized lenses (Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 with 82 mm filter size!, Tokina 12-24 mm, and Nikon 105 mm VR macro), and only 1 small lens (50 mm f/1.8). Crumpler said my Sinking Barge said it would fit a DSLR, 1 large lens, 1 mid-sized lens, and a flash. I can barely fit the DSLR and 2 lenses, but there's no way to add a flash.

So again, it depends on your lenses. :)

Very true - the Crumpler bag I have at the moment is supposed to be for a body and up to 3 lenses, but can only comfortably fits one lens attached to the body and one other lens (currently the 70-300mm). The pics of the Pretty Boy XL (yup, back pack!) do look like they can fit a body and 4 lenses, but I'd actually be happy with a body with lens attached and two others, namely the aforementioned 70-300mm and my 50mm f1.4 (which is finally arriving tomorrow. After a months wait :rolleyes: ). If I can actually fit in my60mm nikkor-micro as well I'd be happy.

But point well made - I'll be having a look at the bag first before blind buying!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.