Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonedauwg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
Never had any freezing issues with any prior version of macOS until this Sierra update. Using a Mid 2012 MBP w/ Attached external monitors and Logitech trackball mouse USB attached. About 2 times a day the mouse pointer will beachball and the entire system is frozen until a hard reboot. Will repeat after ~4-6 hrs of usage. Have clean installed with no extra software other than XCode and Logitech LCC mouse software. Have rolled back to clean install via TimeMachine to see if the Logitech software is the issue. Anyone else experiencing daily freezes?

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
My 2013 rMBP froze a couple of times yesterday, without having done so for the previous few days after the update (when I'd been out of the office). I had a suspicion it might be related to either the external monitor or the Logitech Vx Nano mouse I use in the office, especially since the OS had behaved oddly with the mouse already (using it left-handed I had to swap the buttons using the Logitech Control Centre - it ignored the regular "mouse" settings, which had worked with Mavericks, Yosemite and El Cap). Today I tried with a recent Logitech Bluetooth mouse instead and didn't suffer a total lock-up all day (did have Safari play up, but not the whole system).

I think I'll need a couple more days to be sure. Will be a bit annoying if that is the case, as the old Vx Nano is my favourite mouse (I could uninstall LCC to see if that's the actual problem, but I'm trained to use side-flicks of the scroll wheel to change Spaces and wouldn't want to give that up).

drill423

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Houston
This just started for me as well. The basic solutions don't seem to be working. I'll get stuck in a black screen, eventually get it to work and after about a minute or so, my system freezes again.

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
I just did a quick poke around and found that there's an update of LCC available (3.9.5). If you haven't got that already it may be worth a shot.

stonedauwg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
Next step is after one day of no external monitor or Logitech mouse usage I will try the external monitors with a generic USB mouse with no LCC software. Then after that, if no freezes move on to the Logitech trackball itself with still no LCC software. Hopefully, with that logic, I can narrow it down to LCC, or at least any external mouse. Perhaps this is Apple's not so subtle way of forcing us to use their magic mouse
[doublepost=1475012603][/doublepost]@Hadron, yeah I tried that. Didn't help the freezes - I've ruled out the LCC version as the culprit. Either LCC in general is an issue or not; having 3.9.5 didn't prevent freezes

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Yeah, just had a freeze now with the Vx Nano and 3.9.5.

Have switched to my bluetooth mouse, will see how that goes now...

stonedauwg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
UPDATE: ran my MBP all day at work wth no mouse connected. No freezes. Tomorrow will try hooking up monitors and mouse with no LCC installed

raphaeladidas

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
UPDATE: ran my MBP all day at work wth no mouse connected. No freezes. Tomorrow will try hooking up monitors and mouse with no LCC installed
I was having the same problem and so far it certainly seems to have been LCC. Try USB Overdrive; it's better than LCC in every way. [Side note: I used to use USB Overdrive but had to go back to LCC for reasons I don't remember now. Sierra has sent me back to Overdrive and it seems to be working fine.]

Reactions: Hadron

stonedauwg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
Thanks for the tip on USB Overdrive @raphaeladidas. Will try that. Over on this board Logitech seems to confirm the issue and says they are working on it. I'm continuing with my independent testing

Albert Loan

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
Never had any freezing issues with any prior version of macOS until this Sierra update. Using a Mid 2012 MBP w/ Attached external monitors and Logitech trackball mouse USB attached. About 2 times a day the mouse pointer will beachball and the entire system is frozen until a hard reboot. Will repeat after ~4-6 hrs of usage. Have clean installed with no extra software other than XCode and Logitech LCC mouse software. Have rolled back to clean install via TimeMachine to see if the Logitech software is the issue. Anyone else experiencing daily freezes?
I started having problems after I upgraded to 10.11.6. Random freezes. After upgrading to Sierra 10.12 same problem except it was now not random: it only freezes when waking from sleep. When I wake the computer everything looks fine visually until I try to click on something; as soon as I move the cursor and click on anything I get a beach ball that never ceases until I do a force restart. So I did a completely clean install after reformatting my internal drive (SSD) from a USB so there should be no third party anything on the machine and the problem still persists: when it sleeps either from being idle or from closing the lid, when it awakes it is frozen and requires a forced reboot. Here is the important news. When I started my computer this last time and it brought me to the icon to log into my computer I didn't log in and waited for the computer to sleep. When I woke the computer by moving the mouse or pressing keys I got the same result: a beach ball and no way to log in. So the problem occurs without even logging into the user account on the MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012).

stonedauwg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
UPDATE 9/30/16: After a complete day with no LCC had no freezes even when using the trackball. So pretty convinced (like others) now that LCC is the problem here. Logitech will provide a fix or we can use USB Overdrive as @raphaeladidas suggested

Trying out USB Overdrive. I like it - no issues so far. Cant believe someone went to all the trouble to create that themselves! Shout out to @raphaeladidas for the tip

Last edited:
Reactions: Hadron

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Yeah, looks pretty definite what the cause is - not had a freeze since I stopped using LCC on Weds morning. Will give USB Overdrive a spin when I next have a chance (am out of office next week and left that mouse on my desk) - sounds a top tip there from @raphaeladidas.

stonedauwg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
Trying out the Logitech BT trackpad for Mac which has it has its own Logitech Options software. Will see if that causes the same issues as LCC

stonedauwg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
Trackpad software (Logitech Options) worked fine. Hated the ergonomics of the TP though, so back to trackball and USB Overdrive. Thing is, USB-O is so good, I don't even need Logitech's LCC software anymore. So good riddance! If anyone wants to try the new update, looks like they released some fixes Oct 6.

MacBAir

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
Portugal
WTF is wrong with your mentality? Apple's "way to force us to use magic mice"? These people... Seriously.

Everyone here knows that logitech mice never properly worked with Sierra, since beta 1. You could know too if you bothered to read the forum just for a bit. Logitech didn't give a f*uck about Mac users, and their answer was "Don't update, then". And you blame Apple? It's up for devs to keep up. Other brands work just fine.

stonedauwg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
WTF is wrong with your mentality? Apple's "way to force us to use magic mice"? These people... Seriously.

Everyone here knows that logitech mice never properly worked with Sierra, since beta 1. You could know too if you bothered to read the forum just for a bit. Logitech didn't give a f*uck about Mac users, and their answer was "Don't update, then". And you blame Apple? It's up for devs to keep up. Other brands work just fine.
[doublepost=1476221421][/doublepost]MacBAir the magic mouse comment was a joke. Take a deep breath, its only a forum

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Actually my Logitech BT mouse works absolutely perfectly with my MBP and Sierra.

I've not tested the latest LCC with my Vx Nano yet because I can't really spare the time for dealing with another freeze right now if it doesn't work (I know it's only a few minutes, but it's very disruptive when it happens randomly). Will give it a try when I have a quiet day.

Hadron

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
Actually I decided to give the most recent LCC a go today, and ran the whole day without a freeze. So possibly the latest update has fixed it, though I don't want to speak too soon (but as it would typically freeze after 30-60 minutes before I'm quietly optimistic).

Edit: a second day without freezes. So looking like they've fixed it this time.

Last edited:

Paolo Defraia

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2016
Hamburg, Germany
I started having problems after I upgraded to 10.11.6. Random freezes. After upgrading to Sierra 10.12 same problem except it was now not random: it only freezes when waking from sleep. When I wake the computer everything looks fine visually until I try to click on something; as soon as I move the cursor and click on anything I get a beach ball that never ceases until I do a force restart.

Same happens to me. I do not have a Logitech Mouse so this issue it is for sure a macOS Sierra native one. I can add that, when I wake up my Mac from sleeping, it works for 1-2 minutes that freezes. Have you found a workaround or a solution to this problem? I bought a Mac device for its reliability, but if it keeps freezing while working...Well, that's a big problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.