Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skidev11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) that recently started turning off instantly when I remove the MagSafe power cord. It otherwise works great. It is not consistent in doing this and generally turns back on afterwards. Occasionally, it doesn't turn back on and if I put the power cord back on it, it glows a faint green color. The only way to get it to turn back on at this point is to remove the bottom and unplug the battery for ~10 minutes.

I've tried replacing the internal MagSafe board, using a different charger, and even tried a new battery (the current one has 305 cycle counts and still lasts at least 2 hours). I also throughly cleaned the inside of the computer as suggested in another thread to no avail. I did have the logic board replaced a few months before this started due to the known graphics card issue with this model MBP.

Any other ideas? I tried visiting Genius Bar but they had nothing to offer since this is now a 'vintage' MBP.

chevelleguy3

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2013
Mckinney, TX
Just curious, have you tried to reset the SMC?

1.Turn the computer off
2.Make sure MagSafe adapter is plugged in
3.Press the left Shift, Control, Option and the Power button all at the same time. Hold for at least 30 seconds and then release. You should see the light on the MagSafe adapter cycle colors.
4.Power on the computer and test

skidev11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
I just tried that now but I didn't see the MagSafe adapter light change colors. I did it a couple times making sure it was well over 30 seconds with the same result. It's still immediately shutting off when removing the adapter. Thanks for the idea though!

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Sounds like the battery has shorted out and is not taking a charge, or the charging circuit is shot.

Send it to one of the 3rd party repair places and get them to fix it. Or upgrade.

Last edited:

skidev11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
The battery does still charge when it is plugged in, and properly discharges over time when unplugged. It's just the transition between the two that is the problem. I did try a new battery which yielded the same result.

Mammut

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
Frankfurt, Germany
Just curious but did you try a different power cord / power supply? Maybe the pins of your magsafe aren't in the right condition anymore, so the disconnection process isn't working properly and causes this malfunctioning.

Just curious, have you tried to reset the SMC?
1.Turn the computer off
2.Make sure MagSafe adapter is plugged in
3.Press the left Shift, Control, Option and the Power button all at the same time. Hold for at least 30 seconds and then release. You should see the light on the MagSafe adapter cycle colors.
4.Power on the computer and test
At least the German Apple support page says that the MagSafe adapter has to be disconnected for the process and has to be connected for the macbook start afterwards. But not sure if that makes any difference.

skidev11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
I have 3 different power supplies for it and all 3 yield the same result unfortunately.

I'll try to do the SMC reset without the power attached and report back.

Thanks!

Reactions: Mammut

skidev11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Well I tried an SMC reset both with and without power attached and it didn't seem to make a difference. Now after a few tries it won't turn on at all until I pull the battery for at least 10 minutes then it usually starts up again.

Mammut

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
Frankfurt, Germany
Well I tried an SMC reset both with and without power attached and it didn't seem to make a difference. Now after a few tries it won't turn on at all until I pull the battery for at least 10 minutes then it usually starts up again.
Thats really weird. Unfortunately I have no further ideas. Maybe it's the best to move on and buy a new MacBook. Your machine is in its 6th year and I don't think it makes much sense to spend any money to fix your issue. :(

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Have you tried new cables? If you know of a good computer repair place, they might be able to track down the problem. You seem to have tried everything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.