Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patch^

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
Hi all,

I purchased a MBP i9 back in November. I've noticed that doing basic tasks, such as browsing the web, the notebook gets quite warm. If i start watching a youtube video, the fans kick at full blast. I've got an i7 provided by work and i'm sure it never gets as hot as the i9.

I've seen some articles about Apple throttling the processor, but apparently they issued a fix?

Is this a common issue with this version of the MBP and if so, are the ways to make it run cooler?

Thanks,

Liam

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
It shouldn't get any hotter than the i7, meaning that it should only get hot and loud if doing demanding work. I certainly haven't observed neither of my i9 models to get hot and loud watching youtube. Can you keep a look at activity monitor for processes that demand high CPU uptime?

Patch^

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
It shouldn't get any hotter than the i7, meaning that it should only get hot and loud if doing demanding work. I certainly haven't observed neither of my i9 models to get hot and loud watching youtube. Can you keep a look at activity monitor for processes that demand high CPU uptime?

Thanks for replying. I checked the activity monitor. Nothing is using up too much CPU. I did a bit of googling and discovered I needed to reset the SMC:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

I've done it and it seems to be a little better. I'm not 100% certain is fully resolved yet, but I'll keep testing it to make sure and report back if it's still getting too hot.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
The i9 i returned was running hot too. I think they run hot. All 6-cores. Vega20 is a little better.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Don't underestimate "browsing the web". Safari is capable of handling a dozen different audio and video codec, 3D graphics (webgl), half dozen cryptography and security algorithms, iCloud features, etc. Combined that with heavy battery use and browsing the web could make the MBP very toasty.

I have an i5 13" that stays cool browsing unless I'm using a second screen and in that case the high temp hovers around 60c.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
The only time my fans ran was when doing the first software update.
fans run all the time, at least on 2200rpm on the 15".
The 13" has fans disabled when idling, and the under load performance is not as worse as 15" is hotter :)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
fans run all the time, at least on 2200rpm on the 15".
The 13" has fans disabled when idling, and the under load performance is not as worse as 15" is hotter :)
What graphics card do you have?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I got the Vega 20 and it never gets abnormally hot. The fans rarely run.
Yeah I read that Vega20 is better. Looks like the larger heatsink over the vega helps even when running the UHD630.

The i9/560X was not a machine I've expected it to be, coming from a 2012 rMBP.

13" i5 however is exactly what I expected a 2018 MacBook Pro to be. And the Mini i7 takes care of the heavy lifting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.