Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shieldcy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Hello,

I have a macbook pro late 2016 without touchbar.

It freezes frequently for about 1 minute each time. I cannot move the cursor, music stops, screen stucks. Then everything becomes responsive again.

It is completely random, it can happen even if I have only Safari opened or a video or an application. Sometimes it takes 2-3 days to happen, sometimes it happens 2-3 times in a single day.

I contacted Apple support, they insisted this is a software issue. I waited for High Sierra but this didn't fix it. I formatted the laptop, deleted apps, add-ons... Still no luck.

What could be the problem? I believe this is hardware-related. I sent it for repair, Apple technicians don't seem to know either what is the issue or how it can be fixed. I sent it once, got it back and the problem was still there. I went back to the store and handed it in for a second time. Waiting to see if they can fix it.

I still have the 1 year global warranty. Can I ask for a replacement or is this a small bug which can be fixed with an update or?

Thanks for the help

Steve the Developer

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2017
You have experienced a GPU reset, probably due to a GPU device driver bug, that was triggered by some app you have.

You can check the System console log, as in my experience, a log is always posted.

My app, Fractal Architect, has been a great stress test for the quality of OpenCL GPU drivers and Metal compute shaders. I have posted over 40 bug reports to Apple over the last 6 years.

I have triggered GPU resets while developing my app.

Apple's GPU drivers have been quite buggy since the release of Metal 2. I feel Apple needs to give them more attention and needs to make sure their internal development team has adequate resources to give prompt attention to these bugs.

Last edited:

shieldcy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
But this occurs frequenly. As I said, it may happen 2-3 times per day.
If it was an app, why I still have the issue after formatting the laptop?

Let's say you are right, is there a way to find out which app freezes my MBP?
I go to Systems console log and what can I do there?

Thanks a lot for the help in advance

Steve the Developer

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2017
It has been a while since I have seen one, so I don't remember what the logs look like exactly.

The main thing to consider is the precise time of the reset. There is lots of logs unrelated to the reset going on constantly in Mac OS, so it can be a little tricky to find them.

Reactions: shieldcy

shieldcy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
I just received my macbook back. They changed the logic board.
1 hour after I had the same issue. System/cursor/sound stacked for 20 seconds. 10 minutes later it happened again.

I literally don't know what else I can do. If anyone has the same issue, what did you guys do?
Did you ask for a replacement? Or what did Apple suggest?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.