Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geek2022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2022
Got my MBP M1 2020 last year in March. Cycle count 260 and capacity 90% should I be concerned? please help. I use my laptop almost every day. how do I preserve the health ?

How about your macs numbers? please share

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Do you have Optimized Battery Charging enabled? Also, given from March of last year to today, it seems a little less than one charge cycle per two days. Which means you have stayed mainly plugged in. Have you?

geek2022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2022
Do you have Optimized Battery Charging enabled? Also, given from March of last year to today, it seems a little less than one charge cycle per two days. Which means you have stayed mainly plugged in. Have you?
I do have it enabled but never worked for me. And I recently found about Al dente and have been using it for like a month now.

Not plugged in all the time- I use to charge it to 100 and most of the time plug it again at around 50 or 30 (sometimes even lower T_T)

geek2022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2022
What is your stats like if you can share?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
What is your stats like if you can share?
I wouldn't overthink it much.
Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 11.11.34 AM.png

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
Several things can help. First, minimize the amount of usage above ~80 or 85 percent. Second, minimize the amount of usage below ~20 percent. Try not to get your battery too hot. In other words don't charge it while you are pushing it hard.

And the most important IMO is variety of charging and usage. Be inconsistent, don't always start or end charging at the same percentage point. Don't always use it on battery, and don't always use it plugged in. Start charging half way down sometimes, and other times stop charging half way up. Inconsistency is good for your battery.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
Sounds like your battery is doing "well enough" to me.

If one uses the battery, the battery starts to get "used up"...

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Coconut Battery has an online tool that shows average stats for battery wear on different Mac models. From the data shown there, it seems that battery wear isn't linear. They seem to be wearing more quickly within the first year on the M1 models and then taper off a bit afterwards.

I'm at 92.4% after 149 cycles on my M1.

Reactions: geek2022
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.