Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2015
Hi all,

Haven't been active on MacRoumors for a very long time so I hope I am posting in the right place.

I just bought a MBP M1 base model. Suffice to say that its battery is far superior to my older MBP 13" Early 2015 base model, which requires recharge after every 2-3 hours of normal usage. However, the battery drain on my new machine isn't what most reviewers have been saying. So far I have kept my activities thin, like watching videos on YouTube, browsing, little Word processing, etc. When not in use the battery hardly ever drains. If it does its mostly about 1%. When in use it starts to gradually drain little more than it is expected to. Let's just say it feels like it won't make to 20 hours of usage. Any else having issues with battery or does anyone know what's going on & how to fix it?

Just to add, I use OneDrive & just before posting here I read on multiple places that it causes battery drain. Perhaps, OneDrive is also draining my 2015 MBP, which I said before drains out in 2-3 hours. I have turned it off just a little while ago & would be observing the battery. I have a hunch it might be the case. If so, does anyone know how to fix OneDrive drain?

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
The best way to find out is to look at the Energy section of Activity Monitor. What's it saying about OneDrive?

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2015
The best way to find out is to look at the Energy section of Activity Monitor. What's it saying about OneDrive?

Thanks for the reply, but I have now deleted OneDrive from my new MBP. I was observing it on my older BMP & the energy impact was averaging between 20s-30s. However, to add, even after being a Mac user for past several years I have no idea how to read energy impact.

What is interesting, however, is that after shifting some important date from OneDrive Folder, which was storing files on my disk, to another location on my MBP I seem to have lost 3GB of my space, whereas I think the space should have either remained the same or freed up a bit.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
What is interesting, however, is that after shifting some important date from OneDrive Folder, which was storing files on my disk, to another location on my MBP I seem to have lost 3GB of my space, whereas I think the space should have either remained the same or freed up a bit.

Default for OneDrive is "on-demand" I believe, and unless you'd changed that setting it wouldn't have downloaded the folder content from the cloud until you accessed the file(s)... which moving them elsewhere caused to happen.

FWIW, I've not had any issues with OneDrive on my M1 MBP. Seems to do its job quietly and without creating any impact.

As to your battery drain... you haven't installed Chrome have you?

See this thread: I will consider Chrome a malware from now on.. | MacRumors Forums

Reactions: Clausewitz

Clausewitz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2015
Default for OneDrive is "on-demand" I believe, and unless you'd changed that setting it wouldn't have downloaded the folder content from the cloud until you accessed the file(s)... which moving them elsewhere caused to happen.

FWIW, I've not had any issues with OneDrive on my M1 MBP. Seems to do its job quietly and without creating any impact.

As to your battery drain... you haven't installed Chrome have you?

See this thread: I will consider Chrome a malware from now on.. | MacRumors Forums

No, I am only using Safari for now. From what it seems, I seem to have used 67% of my charge in 10 hours while doing only menial activities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.