Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inaetalan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2021
Looking for some recommendation, I have the budget to buy MBP M1 pro, but I was just thinking if I should go with the MBA route + iPad (sidecar) for dual monitor capabilities since I have the added advantage of touch and drawing with equal price tags. I didn’t want to be bothered with displaylink knowing that Apple future updates may break this setup.

My use case is work/productivity with some casual development - vscode + docker + python and I am currently using mac mini with dual monitors (4k + 1440p) which is great but missing the portability aspect.

Any recommendation which route I should go with.

Option 1:

• Macbook Air: 16gb ram + 512 Gb
  • iPad as a sidecar
  • Sell 2nd display and replace with iPad
Option 2:

• Macbook Pro 14 m1 pro base model
  • dual display (existing setup)
Thanks!

inaetalan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2021
Thanks, I feel like Macbook Air is more suitable to my use case - I don't need the power of M1 Pro and I feel like the value of Macbook Air + iPad and Apple Pencil will allow me to meet instances when I need to present and draw something.

I really value portability + battery life - power is nice but not my 1st priority since I don't edit 4k/8k videos.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I have both and I suggest going with the Pro.

1) DisplayLink does not work with Night Shift
2) MBA screen feels a bit cramped without external monitors. MBP14 screen size feel great.
3) The speakers on the MBP14 are much better.
4) You can permanently install a microsd to expand storage on the MBP14.

MBP14 is a much more complete device. I don't feel like that I need to add any accessories unlike for my MBA. The calculus is a bit different for the base model Air since the bang for buck is so high. For upgraded it becomes a tougher buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: inaetalan

inaetalan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2021
I have both and I suggest going with the Pro.

1) DisplayLink does not work with Night Shift
2) MBA screen feels a bit cramped without external monitors. MBP14 screen size feel great.
3) The speakers on the MBP14 are much better.
4) You can permanently install a microsd to expand storage on the MBP14.

MBP14 is a much more complete device. I don't feel like that I need to add any accessories unlike for my MBA. The calculus is a bit different for the base model Air since the bang for buck is so high. For upgraded it becomes a tougher buy.
Thanks, ended up returning my MBA 16GB/1TB to get MBP14 Base with 1TB. DisplayLink is really bad and my MBA heats up too much during video calls using Teams making it uncomfortable. For 600 dollars difference, it will be a worthwhile investment for years to come (plan to use the MBP for 5-6 years).

Reactions: lixuelai
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.