Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emceethemouth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Philippines
Hi,

Just want to ask if anyone encountered this kind of issue before, it's kind of weird since when I'm using OSX/macOS my MBP is sluggishly slow as in you can't work on it. Then I tried doing same troubleshooting with it like upgrading the RAM to 8Gb DDR3 PC3-8500 1066Mhz (2x4Gb) replacing the HDD flex and adding a DVD replacement HDD to add additional Hard drive. I tried to reinstall OSX/macOS by creating another bootable USB Installer from my Mac Pro using createinstallmedia, then after that I tried to load it and whoa! It took 30mins to load to the installer itself and it's extremely slow like the mouse has a delay in movement and clicking the options takes time (I think you know what I mean), after that since it took almost 2hrs to install, it did boot up but damn it's too sluggish like you can't do nothing on it. Tried booting to safeboot and no issues at all, only that the graphics is tearing which is normal of course on safeboot. So, I decided maybe it's just the 10.12 Sierra, so I downloaded yosemite and el capitan and re did the process and guess what all are the same, all of them same thing super sluggish and boots after 20mins. I decided to try to install Arch Linux into it and Windows, guess what those OS were fine, no issues at all. Now I'm caught in a dead end of what to do next.

Just in case you guys have the same issue pls pray tell if you have fixed it or not since I want to install OSX back to my MBP 13" mid 2010 and not use other OS on it. Again, I already tried other T/S steps and note that Linux and Windows works fine without issues both OS are fast unlike OSX/macOS it's sooooo damn slow.

Thanks!

MBP 13" Mid 2010 Core2Duo

Last edited:

emceethemouth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Philippines
I'm currently waiting for the SSD hopefully that would help. Is it just really needed to be an SSD for this kind of model? Just wondering, since Yosemite and El Capitan both had the same issue.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I'm currently waiting for the SSD hopefully that would help. Is it just really needed to be an SSD for this kind of model? Just wondering, since Yosemite and El Capitan both had the same issue.
I think everything after Mountain Lion has been optimized for SSD.

emceethemouth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Philippines
So it means that I should really need to upgrade to an SSD for macOS to work properly again? Windows and Linux on the same machine and HDD works fine though, just really weird that macOS is so sluggish on it.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
So it means that I should really need to upgrade to an SSD for macOS to work properly again? Windows and Linux on the same machine and HDD works fine though, just really weird that macOS is so sluggish on it.
That is strange. Have you run hardware diagnostics on it yet?

emceethemouth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Philippines
That is strange. Have you run hardware diagnostics on it yet?
That's also my issue it sends out an error when I try to access Hardware Test through boot, weird thing is, it shows the globe then lets me login through wifi just like internet recovery then an error shows up. Oh yeah, even Internet recovery is very slow. Only Linux and Windows works fine.

emceethemouth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Philippines
Could there be a problem with the hard disk sata cable?
Already replaced it man still no good, weird thing is, Linux and Windows run smoothly. Unlike macOS both the USB Installer and the OS itself is sluggish, but when I tried it on my other MBP the USB works fine no issues.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Once again, the SSD will give you nothing less than a "sea change" of performance with the Mac OS.

You aren't going to understand until after you've done it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.