Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tillets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
France
Hello,
I just have bought a MBP mid 2012.
n8b56Lc.png

I wonder if it is a rMBP?
And what is the option with a samsung UHD display. I own a U28D590 display with HDMI and DisplayPort.
I tested a thunderbolt cable from Apple Store in an adaptater mini displayPort to DisplayPort. It actually doesn't work.
Thanks.

tillets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
France
I bought a thunderbolt cable, the 2 meters one. Can I expect to have a second screen on my external display with this cable in an adaptater mini DisplayPort/DisplayPort?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
The 2012 Retina would have been a late 2012, not mid 2012. However, even the Retina model would not be able to support the U28D590 at 3840x2160. If the Thunderbolt cable didn't work, which is not unusual as many monitors don't support full Thunderbolt you need the Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort (or DisplayPort, whatever the Samsung has) cable. You should be able to run it as an external monitor, however, the quality of the display may not be that good because adjustments need to be made since the MBP can't support 3840x2160.

If you have the right cable and are still not seeing anything, you need to go into System Preferences -> Display and see if your display shows up there. Take a look at:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/03/19/fix-external-display-issues-mac/

This is just one article I found in doing a quick search.

If it's still not working, you can take your laptop and go back to the Apple store - they should be able to help you. They probably don't have your model monitor there but they should be able to take you through the steps of connecting an external monitor and making sure you have the right cable (take the monitor manual with you).

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I have the same 2012 MBP model and I've connected a TV to it via an HDMI adapter but had not tried connecting my 2560x1440 monitor to it. So I have a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable and connected it and it works. You should see something on the screen. If you don't, go into System Preferences, select Displays and if the computer recognizes the monitor, you should see a "Arrangement" tab between the "Display" and "Color" tabs. Press on that you and you can select "Mirror Displays" and something should appear on the external monitor.

Beyond that, I don't work with multiple monitors and it's confusing if you haven't done it before. You can search for "osx multiple displays mission control" since Mission Control seems to be used to help control working with multiple displays. There are 3rd-party apps that can be used as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.