Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

restalize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
Hello to the community!

Im a UI Designer and work at home with an iMac mid 2010 and id like to upgrade and be portable.
Im having 2 offers at a greek forum which are both 1 year used and the only differences are:

1 - MBP Mid-2015 15" MJLT2LL, 2.5 GHz, 512GB SSD, 120 cycles battery. price: 1650 EUR
2 - MBP Mid-2015 15" MJLU2LL, 2.8 GHz, 1 Tera SSD, 80 cycles battery. price: 1990 EUR

Whats your opinion on this choice on the technical point along with their value?
are those 340 EUR worth the difference? i was thinking with those money plus few more
i could get a 27" 2k monitor so i can get more room.
Im an aggressive user using PS, AI, XD simultaneously and with few tabs on chrome. and id like them to be fast switching programs like folders.

Thank you in advance.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
300mhz processor difference isn't going to be noticeable, the SSD size is the thing to be looking at there. I don't think you'd need a full terabyte but if you think you might then I'd go with that one for future peace of mind. Check if it's an original Apple SSD or a 3rd party though (I believe they're slower).

Reactions: ssmed

restalize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
Bigger ssd isnt so much a deal breaker for me i noticed 500 gb are OK for me ofc more is better tho i could use an external if i need more space. BTW i see rumors that says 1tera M2 ssd are "faster" than 500 gb M2 ssd is this true?

Check if it's an original Apple SSD or a 3rd party though (I believe they're slower).

how can i check this? tomorrow i ll meet with the "2nd" guy to check the mbp from close, what else should i check in a used mbp? ty

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Bigger ssd isnt so much a deal breaker for me i noticed 500 gb are OK for me ofc more is better tho i could use an external if i need more space. BTW i see rumors that says 1tera M2 ssd are "faster" than 500 gb M2 ssd is this true?

how can i check this? tomorrow i ll meet with the "2nd" guy to check the mbp from close, what else should i check in a used mbp? ty

It'd probably show up in the system report, I wouldn't be too concerned though. Ask them if it's the original and have a look, then just use judgement. If they have upgraded it, do they look competent? It's unlikely to be an aftermarket though as the cost is quite high and the system is still quite new, so not sure why you'd spend so much on an upgrade only to sell it a few months later.

Also yes the higher the physical capacity of the SSD the faster it theoretically is, in reality it makes near enough no difference. So literally just ask yourself if you need that larger capacity drive or not, and if there are other more important purchases you need to make which could stretch any budget you may have.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

restalize

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
Thank you, what about the price how do you find these prices compared to average market, and which of the 2 versions have more "value for money" for their price ?

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
No idea on price, that'll depend on your local market. Do a search on eBay to get an idea, and check the Apple refurbished section.

Personally I wouldn't be paying 2k for a used two year old computer, I'd rather get a lesser spec refurb for peace of mind or re-think budget and get something new. Obviously that's an opinion and individual use cases exist, and if you're desperate then sure. But 2 year old, I think 3 year old CPU, and it's used so you have no idea or guarantee on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.