Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bravo3013

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
Norway
Hello,

I am using a AOC 34" monitor with my MBP 15" Early 2011. The monitor is connected with a Mini DisplayPort-Displayport cable.

The problem: A few weeks backs, the monitor stopped working for two days, before eventually working again. Since then I purchased a new cable, as I presumed that would solve the problem, which it did not. I have restarted my mac many times, tried a safe-boot and reset NVRAM, without any luck. Do you believe the monitor is faulty or could it be my mac?

Thanks,

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Is your machine fine otherwise when running off the discrete Radeon GPU with no monitor attached? And are you able to isolate the issue by trying a different monitor or TV with your Mac or a different Mac with your monitor?

Bravo3013

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2016
Norway
Yes, the mac runs fine with the radeon and it works on other monitors. I also tried to attach a PC to the doc monitor, but it still did not work. The aoc monitor runs fine with HDMI.

EDIT: I managed to solve the problem by unplugging the monitor from the wall and wait a few minutes before plugging it back in. Apparently a capacitor has to fully discharge for the DisplayPort to work.

Thanks for the assistance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.