Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Couple of nights before, my internet was slow. I thought it was my router/modem so I reseted everything (via the reset button on the back). As it turns out.. Time Warner Cable was experiencing some problems in my area. Now, every time I open my MBP (opening the lid), it does not auto connect to my home wifi. My MBP auto connects to my school network & etc but not my home network. It is really frustrating/annoying to always have to reconnect it manually. Is there a fix for this?

Last edited:

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Have you tried deleting your home network for the network list in settings and then re-adding it?

When you reset the router, you might have inadvertently changed a setting on the router that is making it difficult for your Mac to recognize it.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Nope, I have not gone about doing that. How do I do that?

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
I'm unfortunately not in front of a Mac right now, but if you go to your network settings and go into the wi-fi settings from there, one of the tabs will have a list of all the networks you've ever connected to. Select your home network and erase it using the "-" button on the screen. At this point you can close out of network settings (making sure all the changes you made were applied).

From there, just reconnect to your network (you'll have to re-input your password).

Not sure if that will work but it's worth a shot.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Rats.

One last thought. Is there another network that your computer is trying to connect to first (go back to that list of known networks I showed you earlier. Is there any networks in your vicinity that it's trying to connect to first)?

Probably a good idea to have your home network listed as number one, with your school network below that (as long as there's some distance between your home and work that shouldn't be an issue).

If this doesn't work then I'm unfortunately out of ideas. :(

vong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, my home network is above my university's internet.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Yeah, my home network is above my university's internet.

That's it.

It's trying to connect to the university's network but signal is weak so it tries and tries and tries.

Delete the entry from your preferred network pane see how that works. Hopefully your home network stays on top of the list, otherwise this will happen again.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
That's it.

It's trying to connect to the university's network but signal is weak so it tries and tries and tries.

Delete the entry from your preferred network pane see how that works. Hopefully your home network stays on top of the list, otherwise this will happen again.

Thank you!! That fixed it!!!! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.