Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Hey,

I have a 13" MBP 2011 which when doing completely random tasks such as saving a picture from a website,opening fb chat, doing aperture editing.... I have lion installed on it and had it reinstalled 2 now. In Snow leopard I had internet drop out issues which lion resolved..

Now I have brought it to service and they reinstalled lion and exchanged the hd cable. but told me they couldn't discover the error cause, and i should bring it back if it freezes again which it did just the day after that :mad: so I brought it back and its in repair again..

I am wondering if I have the same problem can I ask for a new laptop? Or what are the rules regarding repair and exchange??

Thanx for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

LeiQQ

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Taipei, Taiwan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I once had an iMac g5 with crazy fan issues. The logic board was replaced and then the hard drive failed. After that I asked for a new machine (from AppleCare) and I got it. It took two days of calling but it finally happened. If you can get them to admid some hardware failure or can't figure it out then I would request a replacement.

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I once had an iMac g5 with crazy fan issues. The logic board was replaced and then the hard drive failed. After that I asked for a new machine (from AppleCare) and I got it. It took two days of calling but it finally happened. If you can get them to admid some hardware failure or can't figure it out then I would request a replacement.

Thanx for the reply!
So you think if they can't fix it this time I should ask for a replacement? You have any tips when asking for a new machine? Are they required to give a machine after a certain amount of failed repairs?

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Hey,

I have a 13" MBP 2011 which when doing completely random tasks such as saving a picture from a website,opening fb chat, doing aperture editing.... I have lion installed on it and had it reinstalled 2 now. In Snow leopard I had internet drop out issues which lion resolved..

Now I have brought it to service and they reinstalled lion and exchanged the hd cable. but told me they couldn't discover the error cause, and i should bring it back if it freezes again which it did just the day after that :mad: so I brought it back and its in repair again..

I am wondering if I have the same problem can I ask for a new laptop? Or what are the rules regarding repair and exchange??

Thanx for your help!

Cheers,

Marcell

The general rule of thumb for replacement is if the system needs repair 3 times for the same issue. Although Apple has been known to make exceptions when multiple issues have occurred and required attention. I would say that taking it in once for repair is not call for a replacement.

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
The general rule of thumb for replacement is if the system needs repair 3 times for the same issue. Although Apple has been known to make exceptions when multiple issues have occurred and required attention. I would say that taking it in once for repair is not call for a replacement.

It is in the second time now. And has been for nearly 1 week. But thanx for the clarification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.