Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
I have been having all sorts of sleep/wake issues and general unstable behavior between my external monitor and MacBook Pro 2016 Touch bar 15" since I got it. It would frequently wake to a blue screen and I would have to open the machine and /or disconnect/reconnect the HDMI adapter for it to work again. Also was tied in to being unstable with the "unlock from Apple Watch" feature, which I had to turn off.

Anyway, I read this: http://blog.fosketts.net/2016/11/26/beware-usb-c-hdmi-adapters-flaky-2016-macbook-pro/

And as I was in the market for a new 4K display anyway, I made sure to get one with Displayport (previous monitor didn't have this port). I then bought a Choetech adapter cable from amazon (one end DisplayPort and one end USB-C). Long story short, since having the new monitor I have had much fewer issues with sleep/wake.

From my experience I would say anyone with HDMI external monitor issues who uses their MacBook in clamshell mode might want to try out Displayport if your monitor has that port. It was a total fix for me.
[doublepost=1488321476][/doublepost]BTW, Apple previously told me to reset NVRAM and SMC, which I did to no avail.

Last edited:
Reactions: xmonkey and Sanpete
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.