Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Has anyone noticed that osx is always using the nvidia card? I installed gfxcardstatus and it's on dynamic switching, but never changes. Right now I have, Chrome Dev, itunes,iphone, dreamweaver and teamviewer up.

Not that I really care, I just haven't taken my book off ac yet, and I can see the battery draining in 2 seconds.

Last edited:

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Has anyone noticed that osx is always using the nvidia card? I installed gfxcardstatus and it's on dynamic switching, but never changes. Right now I have, Chrome Dev, itunes,iphone, dreamweaver and teamviewer up.

Not that I really care, I just haven't taken my book off ac yet, and I can see the battery draining in 2 seconds.

You answered your own question.

It switches to the HD4000 on battery power to conserve energy. As long as you are on AC you will always be using discreet graphics, as there is no reason not to be.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
gfxcardstatus lists dependencies under the dropdown menu so you can see exactly what is using the discrete GPU.

You answered your own question.

It switches to the HD4000 on battery power to conserve energy. As long as you are on AC you will always be using discreet graphics, as there is no reason not to be.

That's not how it works. Even on AC power it stays on the HD4000 unless something requires the discrete GPU.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I don't know about nvidia on mac. but in windows 7, chrome uses intel HD graphic card if you don't set it as nvidia in nvidia panel control. it's wrong that chrome uses nvidia all the time. it actually doesn't need that kind of graphic power. intel HD 3000 (or 4000) easily handle for normal work. it even can handle 1080p HD. os if you have mac version of nvidia control panel, if chrome sets as nvidia dedicated, you have to switch to intel HD share graphic.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I don't know about nvidia on mac. but in windows 7, chrome uses intel HD graphic card if you don't set it as nvidia in nvidia panel control. it's wrong that chrome uses nvidia all the time. it actually doesn't need that kind of graphic power. intel HD 3000 (or 4000) easily handle for normal work. it even can handle 1080p HD. os if you have mac version of nvidia control panel, if chrome sets as nvidia dedicated, you have to switch to intel HD share graphic.

Apple's graphics switching is not Optimus. Chrome on the Mac does keep the NVIDIA GPU running all the time.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Not according to the OP. Do you have anything to back that up?

OP has Chrome running which is why the discrete GPU is kicking in. Nonetheless, here's a screenshot for you:

ScreenShot2012-07-07at121236AM.png

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
The Dependencies are:
  • iPhoto
  • Coda 2
  • Chrome Helper

I just went on battery for a good 15 minutes and it didn't switch over. So it doesn't switch over to save battery.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
The Dependencies are:
  • iPhoto
  • Coda 2
  • Chrome Helper

I just went on battery for a good 15 minutes and it didn't switch over. So it doesn't switch over to save battery.

Well then there you go. iPhoto, Coda and Chrome are why the computer is never using the integrated graphics. Quit all of those applications and it should switch right back to the HD4000, whether or not you're on AC power.

If you want the computer to run solely on integrated graphics with those applications running, well, that's what the 'integrated only' option is for.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
You are using a 3rd party plugin to force switching. This was about the base OS. Of course it will react the way you have forced it to react.

No. Dynamic Switching is how the base OS works. The only thing gfxCardStatus does is report whether the computer is using the integrated graphics or the dedicated graphics- it doesn't change how the OS works. It only changes the way the OS works when either the integrated only or discrete only option is selected.

Regardless, OP says that he has gfxcardstatus installed with Dynamic Switching activated so this topic isn't even about a 'base' OS.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
No. Dynamic Switching is how the base OS works. The only thing gfxCardStatus does is report whether the computer is using the integrated graphics or the dedicated graphics- it doesn't change how the OS works. It only changes the way the OS works when either the integrated only or discrete only option is selected.

Regardless, OP says that he has gfxcardstatus installed with Dynamic Switching activated so this topic isn't even about a 'base' OS.

my mistake then, thanks for clearing that up. Good to know it is switching as it should then.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
my mistake then, thanks for clearing that up. Good to know it is switching as it should then.

And just for kicks, I've uninstalled gfxcardstatus just now and as you can see the HD4000 is still activated with the AC adapter plugged in:

ScreenShot2012-07-07at122722AM.png

Last edited:

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Well then there you go. iPhoto, Coda and Chrome are why the computer is never using the integrated graphics. Quit all of those applications and it should switch right back to the HD4000, whether or not you're on AC power.

If you want the computer to run solely on integrated graphics with those applications running, well, that's what the 'integrated only' option is for.

I knew there was a catch to that 8 hour battery.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008

7 hours, actually.

Of course the computer isn't going to last as long with the dedicated GPU on. They advertise 7 hours of light usage, basically, web browsing over Wi-Fi or typing notes in a word processor. You can use gfxcardstatus to force the integrated GPU on battery so even in Chrome it'll use the HD4000.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI

The 8-hour battery is hugely dependent on what applications you're running. It's that way with any notebook computer, not just Macs. There are certain applications that use the discrete card, and you happen to be running a couple of them. You said you have gfxcardstatus installed. Use it to force the computer to use the integrated card. It's really not that huge of an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.