Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNewbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Does anyone know of any software that will allow you to measure inside a photo?

For example, I there was an object in the picture that I knew was a certain size, I'm looking to find out the size of another object.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Just use ratios.

If you know the length of one object, how many pixels is that in the photo? Use the ruler tool to find out.

When you divide one by the other, you'll get: # of pixels/length of object. In other words, you'll know how many pixels in the photo will represent 1 cm/metre/inch/foot, etc.

iNewbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Just use ratios.

If you know the length of one object, how many pixels is that in the photo? Use the ruler tool to find out.

When you divide one by the other, you'll get: # of pixels/length of object. In other words, you'll know how many pixels in the photo will represent 1 cm/metre/inch/foot, etc.

Thanks for the response. When you say ruler tool, what application are you referring to? Photoshop?

I thought of doing the ratios and will use that as a fall back method, but I was hoping to find some software for comparison. This picture might be involved in a court case for my company.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
The ratios trick only works for objects that are the same distance from the camera (and if it's a wide angle lens, it only works for objects close to each other as the distortion around the edges will cause problems). There are commercial software packages to do what you require and if this measurement may end up in court, it may be worth finding one (or even better, a company that has experience with the software and can testify as an expert witness at trial). There is a special name for what you require, but I can't remember what it is.

Good luck,

Jamie

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Jampat's reply is important - objects would need to be center framed, near one another, and equidistant from the lens - otherwise using image ratios will mislead you.

For a rough estimate, that would be fine - but for use inn a court case? You'd better get some software designed for the purpose.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Just use ratios.

In almost all photo the pixel/foot ratio is not constant and is a function of (x,y) and in many places the "ratio" is a not-linear function.

One simple example: Stand at eye level and take a picture of a round man-hole cover in the street. On the computer monitor the cover will look like an elipse if the camera was aimed directly at the manhole cover but a more complex shape (not even a "conic") if the cover is off center

And this is only perspective distortion, next we can talk about lens distortion. It is not an easy subject.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.