Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Is there a terminal (or GUI) method of getting the USB-C current draw of an attached peripheral device connected to a MacBook Pro (actual draw, not class specification)? AFAIK the USB-C power monitor devices only pass through power, not full speed data.

I would like to compare power consumption of some of the USB-C docks.

Last edited:

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Lon at Lon.tv in this YouTube vid seems to be using a device that would fit your needs:

It appears (watching the video) that is only passes through power - I want to measure power consumption of attached peripherals.
[doublepost=1547278367][/doublepost]
Do you want me to find one that specifically meets your needs? If so, list them here and I'll get on it next week.

Not sure if that is missing a /s tag. I want to measure the current consumption of USB-C attached peripherals (as per original post) whilst they are operating in USB-C mode.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
Well, you could take a short USB-C extension cable, cut off the insulation, isolate the two power wires and route them through your DMM in ammeter mode in series (inline).

Reactions: a2jack

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Well, you could take a short USB-C extension cable, cut off the insulation, isolate the two power wires and route them through your DMM in ammeter mode in series (inline).

Thanks, but for various reasons I don't want to do that: the multiple wires that need to be cut, the burden voltage of the DMM and that I need to identify the 4 wires: (A4, A9, B4, B9).

Also for the price of a USB-C extension cable here (no - there is no Amazon Basics available here) then I might as well put that into a device rather than a hack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.