Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valiar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
I am thinking about getting myself a medium-format system and some kind of film scanner to use a hybrid photographic process.
Does anyone here do the same?
If so, what camera and what scanner do you use?
Any tips?

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
I do it. I use a Hasselblad 500 c/m that I bought used from Keh with a Canoscan 8600F or something. I hate it. I wish I had the money for a film scanner, but I'm stuck with the flatbed.

The first question for medium format is what format you want to use: 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7 are the main ones. I prefer shooting square. I never have to worry about turning the camera. And for the most part, I don't crop out of square anyway. 6x7s are heavier, something along the lines of a Mamiya RB67 is nice, but more suited to the studio or on a tripod.

valiar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
I will be going for a 6x4.5 camera - there are plenty on Ebay for cheap now. 6x7 indeed seems too heavy...

So why do you hate it? Do you have any examples scanned with your scanner by any chance?

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
I'm pretty happy with the results I get from my Epson 4490 when scanning 120 film. I hear the 4990 is even better though.

I am using a Mamiya C220 and absolutely love it.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8787798@N03/

All but the guitar are from my Hassy. The slides looks so much better.

Personally, I'd go with Keh.com rather than ebay. You know what you're getting that way. I bought my entire Hassy outfit from Keh. Bargain condition is rated very conservatively. The biggest problem with any of my items is the scratch on the focusing screen, but it doesnt affect anything. Plus, if you arent satisfied they have a great return policy, although I haven't seen a need to use it.

valiar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
Great pictures there!

So why in particular do you think the slides look better? Is it about the color? Or do you feel you are losing some resolution?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I am thinking about getting myself a medium-format system and some kind of film scanner to use a hybrid photographic process.
Does anyone here do the same?
If so, what camera and what scanner do you use?
Any tips?

When I shot MF film, I used a Polaroid scanner that'd do 120/220 film. I shot 645 (Mamiya) mostly, but some 6x6 (Mamiya) and 6x7 (Pentax) and 6x9 (rollfilm back for a 4x5 view camera. These days, I'd probably get the Nikon 9000-ED if I were to shoot MF film again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.