Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhferguson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Denver, CO
There has been a little talk here and there about the new Memories feature, and I was curious to hear about other people's experiences with it so far. I think it's a great addition to the Photos app, and the instant content creation is a great tool for the average consumer that either doesn't have the time or the skills to put together their own videos. A couple of random observations since the first Beta:

1) About me - my iCloud library has about 35K photos and 1200 videos.

2) Memories seems to default to just a couple of specific tracks for my videos. Not sure if this is because I haven't manually downloaded the other tracks available or just how it works. But there are a lot of great pieces of music available in the editing features - including tracks from Hans Zimmer.

3) I'm creating my own "Memories" now - after a trip, a weekend, etc, I usually immediately curate the best of my photos and videos into their own folder and start creating a Memory from there. Apple does a good job of building it out, but I am finding more and more that I enjoy tinkering with the edits and content. It makes iMovie look overly-complicated. I'm really curious to see if they bring any of these features over to that app.

4) BIGGEST FRUSTRATION - not being able to re-order the photos in the timeline of the Memory. This needs to be fixed. I thought I had an easy solution on my hands by re-ordering the photos in the folder, but that did not seem to translate over into the creation of the Memory. Anyone have any luck with this?

5) I'm shooting more and more video now, mainly due to Memories. The videos that combine still photos and video are much more engaging. I usually keep my filming to 2-7 second clips.

6) Would love to have a little bit more granular control over the Ken Burns effect that gets used, often heads or important points of focus are out of frame or cut-off. Sometimes this is due to a photo in portrait mode, but it would still be nice to have control over where the move starts and finishes.

7) I have definitely had a few Memories created that just sucked. I would chalk it up to the fact that I have oodles of pics from photo shoots, screen grabs, etc that may coincide with a date.

How are you using Memories? Are you creating your own? Just enjoying the ones sent to you each day by your device? How do you feel about the editing capabilities? Any tips and tricks you've picked up and care to share?

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
i have the same complaints - uses the same songs over and over and over again - ugh! i wish we could re-order the pictures and i wish we could select which pic is used for the "title" picture. - like you - i curate a folder to get what i wan't. they give us quite a bit of control - just missing a couple of things.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Question, can you export the Memory clip to the iMovie app and make some edits there?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Question, can you export the Memory clip to the iMovie app and make some edits there?

On the iPhone it looks like you can use the sharesheet and import it into iMovie. (See screenshot) I haven't tried it but looks like it's possible.

Attachments

• IMG_1349.PNG
    IMG_1349.PNG
    216.8 KB · Views: 186

bhferguson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Denver, CO
You can indeed import the Memory into iMovie, however it comes in as one big clip, which doesn't really help the situation unfortunately.

Lifeinstills

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
There has been a little talk here and there about the new Memories feature, and I was curious to hear about other people's experiences with it so far. I think it's a great addition to the Photos app, and the instant content creation is a great tool for the average consumer that either doesn't have the time or the skills to put together their own videos. A couple of random observations since the first Beta:

1) About me - my iCloud library has about 35K photos and 1200 videos.

2) Memories seems to default to just a couple of specific tracks for my videos. Not sure if this is because I haven't manually downloaded the other tracks available or just how it works. But there are a lot of great pieces of music available in the editing features - including tracks from Hans Zimmer.

3) I'm creating my own "Memories" now - after a trip, a weekend, etc, I usually immediately curate the best of my photos and videos into their own folder and start creating a Memory from there. Apple does a good job of building it out, but I am finding more and more that I enjoy tinkering with the edits and content. It makes iMovie look overly-complicated. I'm really curious to see if they bring any of these features over to that app.

4) BIGGEST FRUSTRATION - not being able to re-order the photos in the timeline of the Memory. This needs to be fixed. I thought I had an easy solution on my hands by re-ordering the photos in the folder, but that did not seem to translate over into the creation of the Memory. Anyone have any luck with this?

5) I'm shooting more and more video now, mainly due to Memories. The videos that combine still photos and video are much more engaging. I usually keep my filming to 2-7 second clips.

6) Would love to have a little bit more granular control over the Ken Burns effect that gets used, often heads or important points of focus are out of frame or cut-off. Sometimes this is due to a photo in portrait mode, but it would still be nice to have control over where the move starts and finishes.

7) I have definitely had a few Memories created that just sucked. I would chalk it up to the fact that I have oodles of pics from photo shoots, screen grabs, etc that may coincide with a date.

How are you using Memories? Are you creating your own? Just enjoying the ones sent to you each day by your device? How do you feel about the editing capabilities? Any tips and tricks you've picked up and care to share?
How do you actually create the memories? All my events are automatically being created into memories by a single date!

Thiago Brandalize

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2016
Hello all.. good discussion. I am really annoyed concerning using live pictures in my memories. In some memories live pictures work fine, but in other it not. Pictures "live feature" is activated, but after memory creation it behaves as a normal "un live" photo. Does anybody knows about this, or could give us some advice? Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.