Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

highscheme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I have finally decided to go with a Panasonic DMC-LX3 over the Canon G-Series & Canon S90. Most of the decision came because of the HD Video—would have been much harder if the Canon models had it.

Anyway, I was wondering what class & size SD Card I should get for this camera? I plan to shoot in RAW mode if that makes a difference.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
I use a class 2 SDHC 8gb Sandisk card with no issue, for my uses. You might consider a larger and faster one, though: If you shoot a ton of video, you'll probably want a larger card, as the MotionJPEG format takes up a bit of space. The write speed isn't great, especially for continuous shooting in RAW (maybe 5 seconds between shots in single mode, and w/continuous shooting you get about 3 frames, then a substantial delay before you can start shooting again).

However, I don't shoot a ton of video, and I don't use my D-Lux 4 (the LX3's fancily-dressed but otherwise identical cousin) for anything that requires fast continuous shooting, so I'm not bothered by my current cheapie card.

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
I used to have an LX3 and I used 4gb class 4 lexar pro card and later on started using a panasonic class 10 8gb card. Problem is there's not real standard for setting the class type. I never noticed a difference between either except for the added space of 8gb. If they were cheaper at the time of purchase I would have just gotten the 8gb and probably wouldn't have the 4. 8gb is a good place to start.

adpeace

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
I used to have an LX3 and I used 4gb class 4 lexar pro card and later on started using a panasonic class 10 8gb card. Problem is there's not real standard for setting the class type. I never noticed a difference between either except for the added space of 8gb. If they were cheaper at the time of purchase I would have just gotten the 8gb and probably wouldn't have the 4. 8gb is a good place to start.

The class refers to the write speed of the card under well-defined circumstances: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#SD_Speed_Class_Rating. FWIW I use a class 4 card in my 450D which works just fine, though if I upgrade I'll probably get a class 6.

For HD video you probably want quite a large card, 8GB or bigger I'd have thought.

highscheme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
thanks for the responses

looks like i will go with an 8GB class 6 to start

if i find that HD video use requires more i'll buy a 2nd 8 gb or 16 gb card

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.