Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BroncGal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Help someone who is new to this. I have a Canon Power Shot. I have taken about a dozen photos with it so far.Some were deleted and some have been downloaded to my Mac. But now I get a message that the memory card is full. What can I do to alleviate this?

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Well, are there still photos on the card? Did you move them to the Mac, or did you just copy them to the Mac?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
A dozen? 12 shots? There's no way that the memory is already filled (if you have a card in).

User's manual. I suspect it's available electronically on the Canon website.

kitmos

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
A dozen? 12 shots? There's no way that the memory is already filled (if you have a card in).

It could be full if it's the card the camera came with. They are very small. But it also sounds like the pictures were copied off and then the card wasn't reformated or at least the pics deleted.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Copying the photos onto the Mac doesn't remove them from the card. If you have all of the photos safely on the Mac, then format the card in the camera (not the Mac) and it will go back to its original capacity.

How many photos you get depends on the size of the card, and the resolution and compression ratio you are shooting at.

Zer0

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
Try formatting the memory card from your camera menu, or connect the card to you mac and empty trash.

csista

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2007
Something similar happened to me with my G9 recently.

I pulled the images onto my drive, then deleted everything off the card in finder. Next time I used the camera, it was down to about a third capacity, even though I had no pics or videos on it.

I reformatted the card in-camera, it was back to normal, and hasn't happened since. I think formatting in-camera is the only way to be sure you do a clean sweep.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I pulled the images onto my drive, then deleted everything off the card in finder. Next time I used the camera, it was down to about a third capacity, even though I had no pics or videos on it.

Did you empty the trash on your Mac before ejecting the card? If not that's your problem: the files were simply moved to a hidden trash folder on the card.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Sounds like you're using the original card - so its full and you haven't deleted the photos.

User Manual - he said agreeing with the other posters.

BroncGal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Thank You Everyone

I have reformatted the memory card. I was under the assumption that I could take at least 100 shots before it was full.:rolleyes:

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Sometimes I delete all the photos of my memory card and the finder says i have about 18MB left. If that is the case with you, go into Applications>Utilities and open the Disk Utility. Choose your memory card from the list on the left and erase it using the panel on the right. Always helps with my problems.

bleufire

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2007
Ok, here is one i bet no one thought of...

What memory card are you using? Are you using the 32 mb or 64 mb one that comes WITH the camera? The ones most people throw in a drawer and forget till next years spring cleaning? You claim 12 shots. If the camera were to make 3 mb with the settings then 3x12= 36 mb.

If you got that tiny little card, put it in a sling shot and chuck it as far possible and get a nice 2 gb card. you won't worry about space for a while.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you got that tiny little card, put it in a sling shot and chuck it as far possible and get a nice 2 gb card. you won't worry about space for a while.

No, those tiny cards that come with the camera are not totally worthless. They work well in digital picture frames. Those frames only have at most 640x480 resolution (most are not even that) so a 32MB card can hold many low-res photos. A 32MB card can hold a thousand 32K image files

bleufire

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2007
No, those tiny cards that come with the camera are not totally worthless. They work well in digital picture frames. Those frames only have at most 640x480 resolution (most are not even that) so a 32MB card can hold many low-res photos. A 32MB card can hold a thousand 32K image files

:p Oh k fine! Hehe... I wish i knew that before i decided to let them store in my drawer here!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.