Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which memory card should I get?

• Card #1

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Card #2

• Card #3

• Card #4

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
With my new DSLR on the way, I thought it might be a good time to think memory. My camera is coming with a Transcend 1GB 80x CF card. Having done a bit of research, I know that this brand gets very mixed reviews. For both security and space reasons, I will be investing in another card (because the tiny CF cards I have used with my point-and-shoots aren't going to cut it with the file sizes I am going to be working with).

In law school, the main legal research services give you incentives to use their products. LexisNexis happens to have a rewards system that is linked up in part to Amazon.com. I was hoping to save the $20 or whatever by ordering my card through that part of the reward system. Unfortunately, I just ordered Super Paper Mario from their store (didn't realize I was getting the camera when I placed the order), so my points at the moment are a bit limited. I have, however, managed to come up with a couple cards that should work, and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about them.

The cards are:
Crucial Tech 2GB COMPACTFLASH TYPE I ( 110039 )
Kingston 1024 MB CompactFlash Card (1 GB)
Kingston Technology 1GB CompactFlash (CF) Card Ultimate 100x
Kingston CF/2GB-S 2 GB ElitePro CompactFlash Card

I definitely have enough points for the first three, but #4 may be a tiny bit out of reach at the time I need to place my order (so I can get it before an upcoming trip). My initial thought is to go for #1 because of the size and because I know how highly recommended Crucial is for Apple memory. From the reviews, though, it seems like the memory may be a bit slow for use in a camera.

If anyone has used any of these cards, know anything about what the tech. specs. mean, or just have general feedback about the brands, please let me know. I am throwing a poll up just for fun, so if you'd like to vote you can do that too. Thanks!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My first two choices aren't listed so I picked one that I actually do have #4. It has been great. However, it was picked up when I filled up my lexar 80x and sandisk ultra II on a whim. It was a crap shoot but so far so good.
You want speed, 80x or higher.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
My first two choices aren't listed so I picked one that I actually do have #4. It has been great. However, it was picked up when I filled up my lexar 80x and sandisk ultra II on a whim. It was a crap shoot but so far so good.
You want speed, 80x or higher.

I see that #4 is only 50x, and you suggest it despite recommending 80x or higher. Have you noticed speed issues with it? Are you only recommending it because of the capacity? #3 is the only one of these things that is faster than 50x. How important is write speed if I am not planning on taking rapid-fire pictures?

I don't really understand all the intricacies of CF yet, and I don't want to screw myself over. At the time, I would like to get the most bang for my metaphorical buck, so if I can pick up 2GB instead of 1GB without it being too much of a detriment, I would prefer to do that.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
The pros should feel free to correct me, but I think that the only advantage of high-speed memory is how quickly you can download images from the card through something fast like a card reader to your computer. All cards, even 33x, can receive information onto the card faster than the camera can generate it (unless, I guess perhaps, you're using one of the EOS 1-D's to take 8.5 pictures a second for several seconds).

I'd buy as high capacity of a card you can get for the price from a reputable company.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The pros should feel free to correct me, but I think that the only advantage of high-speed memory is how quickly you can download images from the card through something fast like a card reader to your computer. All cards, even 33x, can receive information onto the card faster than the camera can generate it (unless, I guess perhaps, you're using one of the EOS 1-D's to take 8.5 pictures a second for several seconds).

I'd buy as high capacity of a card you can get for the price from a reputable company.

Nope, for higher-res cameras, it does help to have a faster card.

Card readers etc. aren't affected that much by the speed of the card itself. USB1 will kill you...USB2 is doable, FW400 and FW800 readers are much faster.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN

Card readers etc. aren't affected that much by the speed of the card itself. USB1 will kill you...USB2 is doable, FW400 and FW800 readers are much faster.

So would you recommend going for #3 with its 100x speed and skipping the 2GB options?

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC

How so? I mean, on the new Canon EOS-1D Mark III, shooting at 10fps x 10MP, at what point does its memory buffer fill and a slow card limit taking more pictures when a fast card would allow you to keep shooting? After 30 RAW pictures or 110 JPEGS?

I can see how a faster card would let you start shooting again faster after the buffer is full and the camera needs to wait until the pics are transfered to the card, but, I mean, who cares? Who uses their cameras like this?

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
How so? I mean, on the new Canon EOS-1D Mark III, shooting at 10fps x 10MP, at what point does its memory buffer fill and a slow card limit taking more pictures when a fast card would allow you to keep shooting? After 30 RAW pictures or 110 JPEGS?

I can see how a faster card would let you start shooting again faster after the buffer is full and the camera needs to wait until the pics are transfered to the card, but, I mean, who cares? Who uses their cameras like this?

There are plenty of people who shoot continuous frames when they are taking sport or other action shots. I know that my camera is able to take unlimited continuous shots (until the card runs out of room) at almost its highest setting... provided you have a fast enough card to keep up. Unlike a lot of cameras, it actually has no built-in limit. I don't intend on doing much shooting like this, so I obviously don't need to spring for the fastest card on the market, but I am curious if I will notice slowdowns for basic shooting if I opt for a slower card.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I don't know. I have a Canon XTi. I have a 1B SanDisk Ultra II and a cheap Kingston card. Admittedly, I've never tried taking more than say 10 or so pictures continuously at once, but I've never had the card be an obstacle to taking another picture whenever I want to.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to do, but I don't think this will really ever come up.

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
The only word you need to know right now is: LEXAR!

Right now their cards are super cheap cause they just dropped the prices and have rebates. From Adorama right now, you can get the 8GB 133X pro card for $50 after $70 rebate... How can you beat that? I have lexar cards and they are great, no complaints! Don't cheap out when it comes to memory, especially when it's not really cheaping out.

If you think 8GB is too much, trust me, you can never have enough. I use 4GB lexar cards in my D200 and am buying a 8GB. It's nice not to worry about filling up your cards. my 2 cents

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.