Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igorcv88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Brazil
Hi, I have an Early 2011 Macbook Pro and I want to purchase a memory, it has two 2GB installed. Can I purchase a 8GB memory and install it with one of the 2GB that I have already installed? Or, can I have just one 8GB installed?
One more question, how do I know if my Macbook is compatible with a 1GHz memory (Corsair - 2-Pack 4GB 1.0GHz DDR3 SoDIMM Laptop Memory Kit)

My Macbook has 15 inch, Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
I never heard "1.0 GHz" being used with RAM, but then again, Best Buy seems to do that.

You need to get 1333 MHz* 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM from any reputable source available in Brazil.
You can either get one 8 GB module and use it with the already present 2 GB module or just use the 8 GB module alone.

* 1333 MHz is 1.333 GHz, 1066 MHz (an older spec) should be listed as 1.1 GHz, seems the RAM you look at is a bit older

joshhedge

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Ignore robvas. Do not mismatch RAM modules, it will only lead to reduced performance and potential instability of the system.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ignore robvas. Do not mismatch RAM modules, it will only lead to reduced performance and potential instability of the system.

Not reduced performance, using two modules of the same capacity gives about 10% more performance, using two mismatched modules does not take away non existent performance. And that 10% speed boost are hardly recgonisable.

Btw, I used one 2 GB and one 4 GB module for months (when they were much more expensive than nowadays) and had no stability issues, but that is a singular event and not a proven fact of course.

----------

So, what do you think is the best, 1.0 GHz or 1.3 GHz?

Since your modules uses 1333 MHz modules, 1.3 GHz (maybe give us a link, since this GHz business is quite confusing and not standard and only seems to e aimed at advertising a big number (GHz sound better than 1,000 MHz I presume)) is the way to go.

igorcv88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Brazil
Not reduced performance, using two modules of the same capacity gives about 10% more performance, using two mismatched modules does not take away non existent performance. And that 10% speed boost are hardly recgonisable.

Btw, I used one 2 GB and one 4 GB module for months (when they were much more expensive than nowadays) and had no stability issues, but that is a singular event and not a proven fact of course.

----------

Since your modules uses 1333 MHz modules, 1.3 GHz (maybe give us a link, since this GHz business is quite confusing and not standard and only seems to e aimed at advertising a big number (GHz sound better than 1,000 MHz I presume)) is the way to go.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair...oductCategoryId=abcat0506002&id=1218531579755

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.