Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdanpdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Newbie here, would very appreciate any input you might have.

Running 2010 macbook pro, initially with 2+2GB ram.
Upgraded HDD and installed 4+4GB ram 2-3 years ago without problems

6 months ago began having kernal panics causing forced sleep. Was unusual because I could not wake from sleep no matter what. Had to manually shut down. Was initially once every 2 weeks but began occurring daily.

Initially I thought this was a software issue.
Was lazy and had not upgraded Snow Leopard because was getting close to filling HD.
I upgraded HD, ran disk utility, which didn't show any problems.
Then upgraded to Sierra (my system is compatible) and all updates done.
Ran disk utility again and HDD ok.
But still having daily shutdowns, can occur with any variety of apps, can happen 1 minute after start, or 20 minutes in. I doubt related to temp because can happen right after starting or waking from sleep.

Before I fresh installed macOS and software, wanted to make sure was not a hardware issue.

Ran Apple Hardware Test which found no errors.
Ran memtest in single user mode which found no errors.
Then ran memtest86 which gave me the following:

Errors: 65535+
Error Confidence Value: 18
Lower Error Address: 000ae000000 - 2784.0MB
Higher Error Address: 000affffffc - 2815.9MB
Bits in Error Mask: ffffffff
Bits in Error - Total: 32 Min: 1 Max: 32 Avg: 18
Max Contiguous Errors: 65535+

I re-ran memtest86 with stick 1 alone in slot A, then in slot B. Then again with stick 2 alone in slot A, and in slot B. ALL 5 tests gave the exact same results as above, with the same exact addresses.

Based on this, it is the motherboard? What's my next step? I know my system is old, but I would like to hold off upgrading until the next round of iMacs.

Thanks very much for any advice you could give!

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Did you try running the test with the old RAM you removed? Further, if you put the old RAM back in, do the problems still persist?

pdanpdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Yes, actually all tests were done with the old RAM. After I saw that the exact locations were affected whether Stick 1 or Stick 2 alone in either slot 1 or slot 2, I assumed there was something downstream and did not think that new RAM would help. Testing errors do persist with old RAM.

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
Lower Error Address: 000ae000000 - 2784.0MB
Higher Error Address: 000affffffc - 2815.9MB

Hmmm, 32MB of contiguous address space, with all bit positions having errors? It feels like this is an I/O address range that memtest86 tried accessing as RAM. In other words, you've found a red herring. Your system problems are likely unrelated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.