Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
I'm using 9 spaces in mission control with the same 'dynamic' Catalina background. But since upgrading to Big Sur, the color and transparency of the menu bar is screwed up. I get three different versions of the menu bar in the 9 spaces even though the wallpaper is the same. Specifically when some spaces get a dark gray menu bar with black text, it makes everything unreadable. It fixes itself if I hit Ctrl+Up arrow and then Ctrl+down arrow to get in and out of Mission Control. The different spaces get different menu bar colors. I switched to the Big Sur wallpaper on all spaces but get similar results, except no dark gray background with black text, which is the bad one. Also, the dark gray background with black text only seem to happen on certain spaces where I have apps auto-loading on startup. It looks like this:

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 9.57.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 9.56.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 9.56.54 AM.png

With Big Sur wallpaper:

The 2nd space, which is the one loading looks fine:

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 9.59.33 AM.png

All the other 8 spaces get this one.

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 9.59.18 AM.png

Anyone know how why this happens and how to fix it?

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
I'm using 9 spaces in mission control with the same 'dynamic' Catalina background. But since upgrading to Big Sur, the color and transparency of the menu bar is screwed up. I get three different versions of the menu bar in the 9 spaces even though the wallpaper is the same. Specifically when some spaces get a dark gray menu bar with black text, it makes everything unreadable. It fixes itself if I hit Ctrl+Up arrow and then Ctrl+down arrow to get in and out of Mission Control. The different spaces get different menu bar colors. I switched to the Big Sur wallpaper on all spaces but get similar results, except no dark gray background with black text, which is the bad one. Also, the dark gray background with black text only seem to happen on certain spaces where I have apps auto-loading on startup. It looks like this:

View attachment 1810513

View attachment 1810514

View attachment 1810515

With Big Sur wallpaper:

The 2nd space, which is the one loading looks fine:

View attachment 1810516

All the other 8 spaces get this one.

View attachment 1810517

Anyone know how why this happens and how to fix it?
Check to see if you have 'Automatic' chosen under Sys Prefs...General....Appearance (first row choice)? I think that if thats not it the solution may lie somewhere in the General Control panel. I sought of remember this issue sometime ago on this(?) forum so you may want to do a search.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
This was a huge issue in the original beta period for Big Sur. I didn’t have it in 11.0 through 11.3 (non-beta). I can’t remember if I had it during 11.4 beta, but I certainly have had it during 11.5. I personally find it mostly starts when I use full screen apps, but I can’t find rhyme or reason in when/what triggers it. But I think it’s just about waiting on updates, sorry

Reactions: Big Ron
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.