Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brosenz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
I have been using iStat Menus for many years, today I discovered Stats , it looks great, any feedback on pros/cons among them?

I might switch to Stats, specially because it is open source and it seems an active community backing the development.

randolorian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2011
Agreed. I don't see a reason to switch. iStat has more features, like longer graph history.

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
I tried Stats, but had to spend time in Git, running tests for the developer until it worked properly in M1 MBA, then iStat Menus had a great Black Friday sale, so switched to it, and pleased with the results.

Artiste212

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Considering macOS has Activity Monitor, is the likes of iStat and Stats really needed?
Serious question, since am newish to macOS...
Although iStat Menus presents data differently that the Activity Monitor, so it's easier to understand, they have much of the same functionality. I use Stats to see memory pressure in the Menu Bar, but of course i could see that in Activity Monitor, too.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Considering macOS has Activity Monitor, is the likes of iStat and Stats really needed?
Serious question, since am newish to macOS...
No definitely not needed, but many people on these forums, myself included, like to have visibility of what is going on in the engine room. Also iStat Menus keeps and displays all data for 30 days (including across restarts) which can, and has been for me, very helpful in understanding things that have happened, not just what is happening.
Activity Monitor doesn't have any sensor data, and all data is zeroed by a reboot.

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
To add to what others have written, the CPU, MEM, and SEN (temperature) are simultaneously visible all the time in the menu bar, which is much more convenient than launching Activity Monitor and switching between tabs.

Reactions: DianaofThemiscyra
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.