Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menubus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
New Zealand
menuBUS%20Screenshot.png

menuBUS is a lightweight menu bar application designed to capture all system audio, host realtime AudioUnit effects, and pass the processed audio to your choice of output.

Until now applying effects to the system audio has involved the use of multiple apps, audio drivers and aggregate devices, and in the case of paid apps that can solve this problem (many of which are fantastic applications) the user is still left with a lot of prep work and time spent managing another apps clutter.

Now, with menuBUS, you can do away with all that overhead!

Visit the homepage www.menubus.audio to learn more and download your free copy!

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Been using this now for a few months and I have to admit this latest release is simply amazing. Easy to use and it just works. This is certainly a must have app for anyone who cares about audio on their Mac and even though i find the pro version worth it's weight in gold the free version is no slouch either. This plus Sonarworks and CanOpener are like butter on the popcorn for reference calibration my speakers and headphones. Installing this is a no brainer for me and I highly recommend everyone to give it a try :)

For those who don't already know, macOS comes with a number of useful audio plugins that you can use to do things like equalize your audio and work with this tool right out of the box. So for example if you have small speakers you can boost the bass to make them sound great.

Last edited:
Reactions: menubus

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I didn't see it in their FAQ's, so maybe you can answer it here, does this work with the digital out? I have a set of digital speakers, and one of the that drives me nuts is the fact I can't control the speaker sound via the keyboard because I am using the digital output on my computer.

menubus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
New Zealand
I didn't see it in their FAQ's, so maybe you can answer it here, does this work with the digital out? I have a set of digital speakers, and one of the that drives me nuts is the fact I can't control the speaker sound via the keyboard because I am using the digital output on my computer.

Absolutely! This is exactly what menuBUS is designed to let you do.
Download the free version and you will see ;)

Tom.O

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2021
Hello @menubus
I'm wondering if convolution is possible for this equalizer. It would be quite convenient to use FIR filters like it is possible with APO EQ. (windows)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.