Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeNaks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
hello,

I have iOS 11 beta, just downloaded it. I have a question regarding which device. For example I have

iPhone 7 Plus = 128 gb with 5 gb worth of messages
iPhone 6 = 16 gb with 200 mb worth of messages

If I update both. Does my 7 + lose all messages or does the 6 gain

How do I choose.

MikeNaks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
hello,

I have iOS 11 beta, just downloaded it. I have a question regarding which device. For example I have

iPhone 7 Plus = 128 gb with 5 gb worth of messages
iPhone 6 = 16 gb with 200 mb worth of messages

If I update both. Does my 7 + lose all messages or does the 6 gain

How do I choose.
Bump

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I think the idea is that it syncs like photos. Your more recent ones are kept on the device and the rest are backed up on iCloud so you can access them if needed.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
works like any other part of the os that uses icloud sync..

assuming itll even work for u period. its still broken for half of us.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I was hoping my older messages would delete. I have my phone and iPad set for keep 30 days, until the recent beta there was no option for the MAC. Now there is. With sync, all of my devices ended up with about 2 years of messages. I would prefer if all of my devices would know I only want 30 days and just clean it up.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It's my understanding that they would all merge. And when you delete from one it goes from all. What I am waiting to see is if I can have two sets of settings. Cause I need my older ones but not necessarily on my iOS devices. So if my computer can receive all without having the sync on but my devices receive and sync with each other, I'll be set

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I hope the ultimate goal here is to have all messages in iCloud from all devices and synced. It should work just like photos in iCloud, when you delete a photo from a device it is deleted from the cloud and from all devices. I hope it works like this. Right now it doesn't with Public beta 2. A deleted message from my phone still shows on my Mac. It didn't work in public beta 1 when it appeared both devices were storing messages in iCloud. It's grayed out in PB2 HS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.